Is beeing cheap an advantage? Yay or nay and thoughts...
No worries. Glad it was useful.

Yep there is definitely a sense of impatience in your work. It sounds like you lack self discipline. When you are forced to do something, you can focus, but when it is just up to you, you get indulgent and allow yourself to wander off. Definitely something to think about and work on.

I had and still fight this problem as well. I just wantto do the fun loose exploratory stuff and then once I knew where the piece was going, I get bored with the rendering.
Unfortunately rendering, especially for illustration, is pretty much a necessity for the most part.
You don't want to showcase that you can only push out sloppy work. You don't have to be uber-detailed of course, but just cleaned up enough so it looks finished.

So you either can just bite the bullet and force yourself to sit down and learn enough patience to tighten up your work before abandoning it, or find some way to develop your workflow that makes the rendering phase as efficient as possible. I would say you should try to find a way to make the rendering fun. Make up little stories in your head linked to the piece, listen to audio books or talks, even chat to friends on skype. It can be dull, so occupying your mind halfway somewhere else can help the process be less boring.

I think maybe just finding a more efficient workflow in cleaning up your lines from the start could help since you are going for stylised anyway. Check out this thread here on CD. http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3355
There is a pretty good explanation about halfway down of a standard workflow you probably have seen before in countless tutorials that splits up the lines, base colours, shadow and lit areas using layers. I just thought it was a great example of it. It might help for you to experiment with this more structured approach and hit a more cleaned up product earlier on?

Life drawing is probably the most useful thing you can do to increase your overall skill level in drawing, and using reference is a must for visual library building. The reason people say they are so useful, is because it is nd doubt. Most of the problems you will see in any piece will be in either a core fundamental drawing issue or in the lack of use of adequate reference. Of course there is no "right way" to learn anything, you can do as you wish and it might be right for you.

However the fact that you are not comfortable doing something, to me indicates that you should do it. You will always feel like you are improving at varying rates as you keep painting, but being lazy and sitting in our comfort zones and not challenging ourselves tends to promote stagnation eventually. So when there is something I don't really want to address even though I know it is good for me, I know I have to jump in and do it. Most of the time it ends up being a worthwhile and even fun exercise.

Anyways good luck with it all, and haha yeah that comment was nice to get at the time :)

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is beeing cheap an advantage? Yay or nay and thoughts... - by Amit Dutta - 12-07-2014, 07:32 AM