Where do I go from here?
Illustration. Comics. Concept Art. Writing.

Can one person professionally do all of those things? HOW? Is it possible or am I crazy for wanting to be a part of so many creative industries? I feel so lost because:
A. I feel so under-qualified to even THINK about professionally working in one of those fields
and
B. I don’t even know where to begin, what classes to take, or how to network with people in my area—I’m 23 can I even INTERN at any of these places?

But I want it so bad it hurts. I’m tired of pretending I don’t want to do art full time. I hate when people say that art is just a nice hobby for me to have.

Once, I actually convinced myself that I was going to quit. I stopped drawing for a few months , convinced that I wasn't good enough to become an artist and instead maybe I could write a story that someone else would illustrate for me (and meanwhile I'd become an English Teacher with free summers to do whatever I wanted--which I believe now to be an incredibly naiive thought). I realized that I couldn't stop. If anything it made me work harder to try and do both.

Four years later, and here I am with a B.A. in English, part time job-hopefully to turn full time-- and a shelf of filled sketchbooks.

Where do I go from here? I know I want to work in some kind of creative field but where do I start? How did you figure out what you specifically wanted to do in the arts industry? Have you ever been torn between two different fields like concept design vs illustration or animation? Are you still torn between what you want to do?

-V

Messages In This Thread
Where do I go from here? - by inkdulcet - 12-07-2014, 04:39 PM
RE: Where do I go from here? - by Patrick Gaumond - 12-08-2014, 12:24 AM
RE: Where do I go from here? - by inkdulcet - 12-08-2014, 02:46 PM
RE: Where do I go from here? - by hadee41 - 12-08-2014, 04:10 PM
RE: Where do I go from here? - by Amit Dutta - 12-08-2014, 04:43 PM
RE: Where do I go from here? - by Farvus - 12-26-2014, 09:50 PM