Coloring a Grayscale Image
I am not a digital painter, so I can't tell you how to apply the color in that way. But I do traditional painting and it is an awesome idea that you went with a greyscale underdrawing. Smart cookies! I don't know if you have an idea about what colors you want to use, but I recommend going with a limited palette of colors. http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/search/label/Color James Gurney wrote a fantastic book about color and he gives some great info on his blog as well, but basically, pick one color that you want to to tie the whole scene together. This will be influenced by the light you will have in the scene.

For instance, say you want a warm painting of a centaur in a forest during a hot summers day. Pick a color that would unite everything- a yellow, or an earthy red and then use it to influence all of your other colors. If you want a blue in there, with the warm color scheme, you could pick one that leans a little more towards reds/purples for instance. It is hard to say what I mean without images, but the idea is to plan your colors as a group, not as one color playing off another color. Remember also how colors influence the eye and use contrast to bring focus to where you want it. Red is the most forward punching color. If you really wanted the face to stand out, maybe you would give the centaur red hair, for instance.

There is a whole world of color theory that will make it pop, and I hope this quick little blip helps a tad but so far you are doing good. The only other thing I would add is the same as what is said before. Hold off on the detail until later. Try to stay as general as possible for as long as possible and simplify your values in underpaintings such as this. One good idea is to thumbnail your image first, using only basic shades of gray to decide on the composition.

Good job so far!

Messages In This Thread
Coloring a Grayscale Image - by duquefbatina - 01-16-2015, 10:52 AM
RE: Coloring a Grayscale Image - by kyteki - 01-18-2015, 09:28 AM
RE: Coloring a Grayscale Image - by Chris P - 01-18-2015, 07:19 PM
RE: Coloring a Grayscale Image - by duquefbatina - 01-19-2015, 01:37 PM
RE: Coloring a Grayscale Image - by Elmst - 01-19-2015, 02:50 PM
RE: Coloring a Grayscale Image - by Jeanneillustrates - 01-19-2015, 03:42 PM
RE: Coloring a Grayscale Image - by duquefbatina - 01-20-2015, 01:22 PM