What I've been doing isn't working
Good point. I think that is part of what has been holding me back, about the portfolios, because I honestly don't know what sort of jobs I am wanting. I mean, I am interested in picture books, and I know I love illustrating mythology and folklore, but in truth I look at the things I make and I feel like it doesn't fit in very well with the things I have seen in any field and I am always so confused and lost of which direction I should go in. Part of that is that I was taught fine art in school and its taken me a couple of years to even understand what illustration is. I guess I have to do more soul searching.

As for the reference, yep, I've watched those guys. That's a great podcast and I know what you mean. reference is not bad, but one time I googled an egg. I mean, an egg. That is how bad I have been, using reference as a crutch and not really trusting in my abilities. I need to get to a healthier place with it, where I truly use it to see, oh, what kind of clothes did pirates wear in the 17th century or something like that, not, I want to draw a person, in this exact pose, lemme just spend 3 days finding the perfect pictures to stick together. It's pathetic.

So what I'm hoping is that this practice will make me stronger in a habit sense and in a figure sense. That I'll be able to understand the core better instead of just the surface.

That portfolio thing is gonna be tricky though...

Messages In This Thread
RE: What I've been doing isn't working - by Jeanneillustrates - 01-20-2015, 02:04 AM