Concept Art Co-operatives:
Also those skills arent necessarily only art skills. other skills like well hated salesmanship can be a factor. I think to a certain extent skills are related to income, but afterwards other factors like reliability, interpersonal and cultural factors can become increasingly important. take the wage differences in ethnic and gender groups as an example.

I think the idea of a minimum skill level could be necessary in order to secure a certain amount of quality. But so much of art is subjectively qualified (though not all), after a certain bracket i think it becomes less critical.

Although i agree with this statement, i think (and it was both stated and cited in the above linked report) that the key difference is that co-op groups learn faster because of the extra motivation that comes from a shared outcome. I think studios do benefit from this to a certain extent because if the product doesnt ship on time then there are consequences for everyone.

You know i never thought of it that way, but that sounds like a great idea! Its a compromise but perhaps a necessary one for it to work.

Yea the minimal startup and the skillset is one of the reasons i thought that the crimson daggers forum could find this interesting.

haha! i have no agenda here :D. (1 person convinced). But i think of course this is key.

I was thinking of the team qualities needed, and briefly came up with this.

Dedicated: Believe in the project and want to get it done.
Motivated: Ready to put in the work to complete the project.
Capable: Actually have the skills needed or can learn the skills in a reasonable timeframe to complete the project.

Now I think UE4 OS license that is available for businesses whereby they take a percentage of the profits (i think its like 1%) is an amazing idea and why i think this holds fertile ground for teams in the entertainment industry. So much can be done and people can get the rewards they deserve for such projects.

Now back onto what i was going to say

Both a means and an end: Co-op's and Creative Control

A co-op could also provide a way for artists to regain creative control and integrity in their lives. We have all felt like a cog in the system, a tool for someone elses vision and this is just part of the job. However by creating a co-op with a shared vision there is a team that can

A) Work for employers on projects and deliver quality results, while levelling up faster than can be done individually.

B) Work on unique IP projects (their own creations) that can then benefit from the skills learnt from industry.

a positive feedback cycle that keeps increasing both the value of the individual and the project.

Again this ties in with what you were saying earlier about compartmentalized work.

Messages In This Thread
Concept Art Co-operatives: - by appleseed00 - 06-24-2015, 12:06 PM
RE: Concept Art Co-operatives: - by Amit Dutta - 06-24-2015, 07:37 PM
RE: Concept Art Co-operatives: - by appleseed00 - 06-24-2015, 09:52 PM
RE: Concept Art Co-operatives: - by Amit Dutta - 06-24-2015, 10:17 PM
RE: Concept Art Co-operatives: - by appleseed00 - 06-25-2015, 08:35 AM
RE: Concept Art Co-operatives: - by Amit Dutta - 06-25-2015, 10:16 AM
RE: Concept Art Co-operatives: - by appleseed00 - 06-25-2015, 08:22 PM
RE: Concept Art Co-operatives: - by Amit Dutta - 06-25-2015, 09:00 PM
RE: Concept Art Co-operatives: - by KurtJeremy - 06-26-2015, 03:19 AM
RE: Concept Art Co-operatives: - by Zearthus - 06-26-2015, 09:14 AM