Not Getting Work When I Used to Get Steady Gigs - Help Me Please - Brutal Honesty
Hey everyone! I'm going to go down the list on everyone else's threads and give advice however I can after this. 

GOAL: I want to be a studio concept artist and work on survival horror games specifically. I want to do creature design, environment design, and utilize photobashing, rough 3d modelling, and digital painting. 

BACKSTORY: So, I used to get a lot more gigs and interest for work a couple years ago. I admittedly hit a slump with work and studying over the course of the last couple of years and I think it legitimately affected my portfolio work. I've been applying everywhere, asking for job openings and portfolio reviews, and I've been hitting a brick wall where either there are no responses or a vague kind of "your work is great! But we prefer portfolios with a bit more experience." Frustration and confusion abounds, but I'm ready to cut through it.

HYPOTHESIS: Because of not having any consistent work and not seeing a lot of job postings, I've gone back and forth between "I should work on my own survival horror project as a portfolio project!" and "Ok, there's a sci fi job posting, time to make sci fi pieces. Oh, there might be a gig over at Wizards of the Coast, time to make MTG style pieces." Where I feel like a distracted desperate mess and where I worry that other artists and clients can sense it a mile away. Also I'm scared that that frustration and confusion has seeped into my portfolio, and that it might have a "Please dear god hire me for anything" vibe to it.

Also, the matter of storytelling in pieces, I don't think I do that as much as I need to. Like my work feels boring in that way to me.

REQUEST:
1) What is your initial reaction to my work? Initial comments/reactions/questions that come up while you look at it?
2) What do you think I might be overlooking/not addressing in my work?
3) What could be good solutions to those things that you see that I'm not working on?

My work is at www.davidszilagyi.com

I know I'm a good artist and a hard worker, but I'm scared that something's coming across in my work that is undermining my success.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your advice!

David Szilagyi, 
Professional Badass, phD.

www.davidszilagyi.com

Messages In This Thread
Not Getting Work When I Used to Get Steady Gigs - Help Me Please - Brutal Honesty - by DavidSzilagyi - 09-10-2015, 05:40 AM