Not Getting Work When I Used to Get Steady Gigs - Help Me Please - Brutal Honesty
Thank you guys for the insight!

I agree completely on everything you've said. I've been looking to put words to it and you hit them perfectly. The underwhelming aspect of some of my work definitely comes from the "dear god I hope they like this" instead of the "step back, I got something here you've never seen before that I love."

Definitely working on more anatomy as we speak. Also, taking a better look at color theory, perspective, movement, and the life of the piece. I haven't thought about it much, but definitely having life in pieces is something I haven't thought about or been confident about in a very long time. A little embarrassing to admit to being scared to put life into an art piece (stress, work jadedness, lack of self confidence, etc), but hey, that's what's been happening.

If we'll be honest, I want to be the guy that people come to for terror and terrifying concepts. I love that work and have been definitely been shunning myself away from that (the whole "everyone keeps getting work by doing sci fi and fantasy, I couldn't possibly make a name doing horror" belief). I would love to make a business primarily making horror and nightmare fuel in my own style, and have just been lacking the confidence about it for their being interest in it. But the life and attractiveness of the work comes from the life and interest of the painter, first, I think.

Less concern over what others think, more concern over what makes me happy about my own work. Along with constant progression on the fundamentals.

Thanks for the awesome words, I'll be taking this and improving on this once I post this :)

David Szilagyi, 
Professional Badass, phD.

www.davidszilagyi.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: Not Getting Work When I Used to Get Steady Gigs - Help Me Please - Brutal Honesty - by DavidSzilagyi - 09-10-2015, 11:46 PM