Triggerpigs CC2 Wips
Yo, Trigger!

So your CC2's wip really g'd me up when I saw what you were studying and whipping up! I liked that you went a different route with your Oulz design in the end... even though it may not have hit the nail on the head for a Bloodborne beast in the very end 

I did a thing, I hope you don't mind

... It's quite different to your original final -- and for that reason it's fine if you just straight up disregard my two cents
But here goes anyways:

What I feel holds your final keyframe back a bit - is that the composition is a bit too static. I mean honestly, disregarding the paintover and lookin' at your piece > this could've been fixed if you put more consideration into the background architecture (like I mentioned in your sketchbook), it doesn't really fit the feel of Bloodborne- also, I mean, Trigger... maaaaaaaaaaaate... I've seen the How To Draw studies you've been pumping out in your sketchbook. I just know  you can do a lot better <3 <3 this challenge could have been a fantastic way to apply what you've been learning. You don't have to do it all from imagination either, pull some refs up if you get stuck, or my personal favourite thing to do > if you hit a wall while working on something, literally go and study that thing you're having trouble with and then get back into the piece, so that you're applying the knowledge directly.

Ok, so yeah, my paintover was done in PS, so I can't really talk shit lol, but making a great pencil illustration isn't the hardest thing... if you plan it out methodically. I saw that you made thumbs for your comp -- that's great! But what'd you do after that? You did studies, which is great too! However, I feel if you added just one more (read: crucial) step before you got into your final, I reckon your piece would've turned out baws---! 

What?  You ask
lol you didn't ask who am i kidding?

Rendering out a thumbnail as best as you can and exactly how you want your final to look. This is where you pull out all the stops to make sure this thumbnail looks bomb. Try different things, make sure you get your values to read well, etc. Do multiple little thumbs until you get the right one >:o ! Make it your mission. 

Quick draw! (bullet point time)

* pencil strokes are just like brush strokes. stroke by stroke you are building form. difference being, you only have one brush size. therefore it is important you use line direction to your advantage. start with a lighter stroke and gradually fill an area, then go over it with the same weight, to build values. ofc application x experimentation is needed for better understanding.

*changed comp for more storytelling + enhance grandiose/menacing stature of beast. as well as fixing static composition in a way other than just changing background. Rule of thirds works rather well in the paint over

*if you ever feel unsure about value/composition readability > posterize layer to simplify values to 1-4 shades. 

*added teeth to make a little more Bloodborne? Idk. going for creepy there. for the most part I wanted to keep your original design ~

*crazy arms for composition purposes/more Bloodborne-y

* foreground = dark, midground = medium, background = light. 1-2-3

* focal point on (hard to read because quick paintover) old man shining lamp on huge-ass beast. he's blind as a bat and can't figure out what those sharp yellowy things are before him...

*guy on right's clothing looked more modern than Victorian/Gothic-era

Alrighty, I think that's all the thought-spew I've got atm

But yeah! Major props for challenging yourself in the Crucible, Trigger! Please, keep going hard and don't be afraid of changing things when they don't look right in an illustration. Even if it's near the end, because that's what clients would want and all that ;)
(*cough*yeahlikeIcantalklmaougggghh*cough*) 

I hope that at least a smidge of this helped you out buddy <3

o/

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all

Messages In This Thread
Triggerpigs CC2 Wips - by Triggerpigking - 04-05-2016, 04:16 PM
RE: Triggerpigs CC2 Wips - by Piotr Jasielski - 04-05-2016, 10:12 PM
RE: Triggerpigs CC2 Wips - by smrr - 04-05-2016, 11:34 PM
RE: Triggerpigs CC2 Wips - by Eyliana - 04-06-2016, 09:37 AM
RE: Triggerpigs CC2 Wips - by Triggerpigking - 04-07-2016, 02:46 PM
RE: Triggerpigs CC2 Wips - by Amit Dutta - 04-07-2016, 03:50 PM
RE: Triggerpigs CC2 Wips - by John - 04-09-2016, 12:10 AM