Gonna build a new PC for digital painting–what specs do you recommend?
Hey thanks for those suggestions Sagi! Funnily enough, I already went ahead and ordered all my parts so i could have a good backup / 3d machine for the future. It sucks not to be able to deliver client shit, because your one machine is down. Your suggestions mostly matched my final build!. I got a good deal from a local store with my picks, with a bit of hard negotiation, so i don't even have to waste time putting it together, as fun as that would be.

This is my final part list. The prices aren't totally accurate, to the deal I got. The only difference is I'm getting an fsp p1802 case and also an fsp raider 650w psu. I'm not sure on the screen yet, but with my budget it will most likely be an older but decent dell or asus. I slightly blew over my budget, but i decided to upgrade to an i7 and 16gb ram and a 4gb card for the 3d stuff. What the hell, I'll eat tomato sauce and rice for a few months.

AMD cpus sound great for the pricepoint to #cores, but many seem to fall behind the i5s and i7s, and the fx series got lots of criticism when they were launched, so yeah I decided not to.

I don't intend to overclock, and I don't game, so I was mostly focused on 3d for this build.

Prices are in NZ dollars.

PCPartPicker part list: PCPartPicker part list: http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/p/8qkBQ7

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($499.00 @ 1stWave Technologies)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($154.00 @ 1stWave Technologies)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($129.00 @ PC Force)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($121.00 @ Paradigm PCs)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($85.00 @ PC Force)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card ($349.00 @ 1stWave Technologies)
Monitor: Dell U2515H 60Hz 25.0" Monitor ($524.54 @ Aquila Technology)
Total: $1861.54

In terms of your questions....I haven't researched in depth the benefits of gaming gpus vs quadro. To be honest, if you are just doing basic 3d and learning, I wouldn't worry too much about it. The gtx 960 I got has 1024 cuda cores, compared to 384 for my quadro k1100m. And 4gb ram, and higher bus and clock speed, so I'm pretty sure it will outperform my quadro by a bit. I can let you know how it goes when it is up and running if you like, but there are tons of benchmark scores out there to compare these kind of things. I think the 970 is a decent choice.

There are few advantages of a quadro over a gtx for 2d stuff. With a 4gb card, an i5 and 16gb of ram and an ssd it will be way more than adequate to handle anything in krita I would say. In my laptop, 1 gig 8 bit 6-7k px files with over 50 layers, would lag a bit when doing whole canvas adjustments or moving layers, but nothing to be too annoying, and easy enough to merge layers anyways. Krita 3.0 should be much better at memory handling and brush lag as well.

Anyway I should get the box in a few days, but still need to source the monitor and do the drudgery of installing os and programs yet again...sigh. only other decision to be made is whether to dual boot linux and win 8.1, or go full linux again. I loved linux when I had it for over 4 years, but there are some programs that just aren't compatible or run poorly on wine, so need to figure that out :) looking forward to it though. Haven't had a proper working desktop workstation for ages!

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gonna build a new PC for digital painting–what specs do you recommend? - by Amit Dutta - 04-13-2016, 03:51 AM