Just looking for some feedback
(08-02-2016, 11:03 PM)John Wrote: Hello Nick D!

Quote:Thoughts on my mind: Colors are too boring? Does he need a weapon? More detail on the armor?

Seeing that you think the colors are boring, have you tried giving the armor an accent color? I like how you gave the character blond hair to break the overall color monotony. It might work on the armor as well.

The torso armor looks like it's going to grind against the belt if he tries to turn. It might work if it's shaped like an inverted 'V'? Have you tried giving him a thicker belt? Again, not sure if they'll work!

The kneecap guard's strap looks like it's made of garter, and it feels uncomfortable wedged in between where the legs fold. Probably it would be nice to explore a different design on that. Maybe a two strap design (one for the lower part of the upper leg, other on the upper part of the knee)?

I like the arm glove and the samurai skirt armor going on. And especially the boots! I wish I made it to that design conclusion as well for myself.

Oh! And consistent lighting on the face and armor! It looks like they have different light sources. (Or again, it might just be me!). If you have time... Dramatic lighting! Here's a cheat I normally do. Give the character a dark background, give him an edge lighting (light behind and above the figure) and boom!

Seems to me what you have right now is design number 1. I'm looking forward to the second! Good luck Nick and I hope I helped even if it's just a squeek!

Hey John,
Thank you for taking the time to look this over my friend!
    Alright, these should be relatively easy changes to make. We're on the same page about the colors; I'll tone down the saturation and shift the hue to a less "baby blue" and add a touch of brown and green to break up the uniformity. 
    Good catch on the kneepad strap. After taking a quick look at military kneepads I've definitely got it all wrong. Either 2 straps or no straps is the way to go.
    It's subtle but I see what you mean about the lighting. The light direction is coming from the left on the face, directly above for the rest of the body. Easy fix. 
    I'm going to politely disagree with you on the lighting setup in this situation. For this particular character the armor design with all its little details is the main focus as opposed to the overall read of the silhouette. Thus, the simple diffuse lighting I have established is more appropriate. If there was more happening on the outside, such as some crazy spikes or an extreme pose or a fancy weapon, edge lighting would be a great way to pop the form. I could be entirely wrong about that, it's just something I've observed. 
 Looks like I've got some work ahead of me!

Messages In This Thread
Just looking for some feedback - by DQ_Nick - 08-02-2016, 12:19 AM
RE: Just looking for some feedback - by John - 08-02-2016, 11:03 PM
RE: Just looking for some feedback - by DQ_Nick - 08-05-2016, 03:12 PM
RE: Just looking for some feedback - by John - 08-05-2016, 03:34 PM
RE: Just looking for some feedback - by DQ_Nick - 08-05-2016, 03:21 PM