Jackson's Sketchbook
VoodooMama: Thank you!

Okay, so I must admit I'm a bit embarrassed to show my face around here. I had never intended to stay away for so long. In retrospect, I had been in my own space for too long, so I shied away when seeing some of the sketchbooks around here, and how good everyone seems to be. The intimidation got to me. I forgot the point was to track personal progress, and get some input here and there. Anyhow, I have been really struggling on my own, and am hoping that getting back to posting will change that. My goals have definitely changed a bit. At this point I'm trying to put something of a portfolio together, to get some commissions going, all while working on my fundamentals of course. I had been working on some comic pages for a personal project, but decided to put it on hold and focus on doing some illustration work. So that's where I'm at now.

In focusing so much on my painting abilities, I have definitely improved at rendering, but my drawing and structure abilities have diminished a bit. I didn't actually realize the extent of this  until I had to face it when finishing my work. As you'll see everything is just muddy. Certain areas hold together while others are just a mess. This is especially apparent in the second image, the more recent one. I didn't preserve my under drawing, so it's basically just guesswork at this point. I'm gonna keep refining the focal points and get back to doing some structure and form studies. But in the meantime, here are two of the more finished pieces I have, and some supplemental studies to go with them.

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread
Jackson's Sketchbook - by jacksonb57 - 12-11-2016, 09:30 PM
RE: Jackson's Sketchbook - by VoodooMama - 12-12-2016, 01:13 PM
RE: Jackson's Sketchbook - by jacksonb57 - 05-25-2017, 09:33 PM
RE: Jackson's Sketchbook - by John - 05-28-2017, 06:02 PM
RE: Jackson's Sketchbook - by jacksonb57 - 07-04-2017, 05:33 AM