Comic thesis crits, please?
What a cool subject for a thesis Zombie :).

OK I have a few thoughts for you.

Story

As far as I understand it, the main character is under pressure to go on a blind date but she doesn't want to because she has a houseful of pet plants to keep her company.
If you want the big punch line as being the fact that she already has her plants for company, my suggestion would be to build a bit more pressure on her to go on the blind date.  Here's a few ideas for you:
  1. Have her friend be a bit more forceful in pushing her into a blind date.
  2. Have her friend be curious about why she doesn't want to go on a blind date - this will set up a question in your reader's minds hopefully drawing them into the story.
  3. Make it more of a mystery as to why the MC won't go on a blind date by having her be evasive and mysterious e.g. "I don't need a partner, I have my ..." she leaves us hanging in the air and doesn't finish the sentence.

Panel Layout

I'm a fan of keeping panel layouts simple like you have - it means your readers won't get thrown out of the story by having to work out which panel to read next.  Your panels are also of a decent size in case you ever want this to be read on small screen mobile devices.

Whilst keeping the simple panel layout I think you could inject a bit more drama and dynamism by playing about with camera angles.  For example, on Page 1 Panel 2 - instead of using a flat side on shot, try raising the camera a little and have a shot from slightly above looking down?  Or even a shot from below looking up?

I also recommend the articles at ComixTribe for writing and layout out comics:

http://www.comixtribe.com/columns/bolts-...h-of-nuts/

That's all I got for now, please feel free to ignore, I'll post more if anything else occurs to me - hope this helps and good luck!

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

Messages In This Thread
Comic thesis crits, please? - by ZombieChinchilla - 12-30-2016, 08:25 AM
RE: Comic thesis crits, please? - by Artloader - 12-30-2016, 09:12 AM
RE: Comic thesis crits, please? - by Admbrns - 12-31-2016, 08:20 AM
RE: Comic thesis crits, please? - by John - 01-02-2017, 02:33 AM
RE: Comic thesis crits, please? - by RottenPocket - 01-04-2017, 09:02 PM
RE: Comic thesis crits, please? - by John - 01-06-2017, 12:42 AM
RE: Comic thesis crits, please? - by meat - 01-06-2017, 01:21 AM
RE: Comic thesis crits, please? - by Admbrns - 01-12-2017, 09:49 AM
RE: Comic thesis crits, please? - by Alopex - 01-14-2017, 08:32 AM
RE: Comic thesis crits, please? - by Alopex - 01-14-2017, 08:48 AM