Developing a slick illustration workflow
(12-24-2017, 09:06 AM)Artloader Wrote: Cool, thank you for the thoughts Darktiste :).

Having a ready built library of references sounds like a good idea - it takes me ages to track down the references I want for a given piece.

The research phase of the workflow is one of the most easiest moment to procrastinate in.You do not need to be looking for a perfect reference because once you understand how to move a volume in 3d space you become free to represent what in the reference in any position you wish that why it also a good idea to have reference of the same subject in different angle.

A good way to start is to do a few gesture of the basic volume in different pose.This also help find interesting pose and composition.

I suggest you buy an external disk and put the reference in there so you can also use it everywhere if you need to work somewhere else.Here the kind of thing i collect Anatomy,weapon and armor,costume,animal anatomy,dinosaur,image for gesture,mechanical object,texture,Architecture,master study.Those or the main categorie subdivided by other folder.
Don't forget to name picture with keyword so there easier to search directly if you don't want to lose time.I heard some people use pinterest to save some disk space if you prefer that way.I personnaly prefer to have a back up of my reference if the internet as problem i am still safe.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Developing a slick illustration workflow - by darktiste - 12-26-2017, 04:53 AM