Can you help me push this further?

Hello there! This is a really nice painting so far. I'm not exactly sure how to address the other issues but I can give my 2 cents on hair which is something I feel more comfortable with. 

My thoughts for hair:

Make clumps--or layers---of hair
To achieve this, remember that light will not hit all the hair evenly. Create a clearly readable shadowed and light area; be selective about which areas you add highlights. Make sure it makes sense with the lighting situation.

This isn't specific to your piece but a common mistake I see among many budding artists is the tendency to draw as many strands as possible that it begins to rob the hair its sense of depth.

Make purposeful brush strokes. His hair is looking a bit muddied together. It will come with confidence and practice over time, but it is something to keep in mind.

Add little rogue strands. Hair is messy, even in the best of times.  Use a hard brush for this to really make them stand out.

This isn't specific to hair, but this post does a very neat little sum up on explaining edges and I think it will really push your work a good notch or two forward if you can understand how to better handle edges. Your character's silhouette feel flat because he has a very stark, clean line completely separating him from the dark background.

http://muddycolors.blogspot.com.au/2015/...s.html?m=1

I hope this is somewhat helpful and made sense. ^^ Keep going!

~

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can you help me push this further? - by helloworld - 03-10-2017, 04:12 AM