VickGaza - Help me learn 2D char. design
I think you'll need to know how to render to some extent to do character design. Line and the other non-rendering fundamentals are definitely the most important, but you'll need the ability to depict materials and lighting information on at least a rudimentary level, or at least have a good enough understanding of it to able to photobash it, as reference for whoever uses the sheet (even if its just the art director). But youve also said this is just for your own purposes, to design your own characters, so maybe that's not needed :)

That said, I've seen production-oriented design sheets that are only line art with flat colours, and the materials are depicted on the side with photographs. I don't often hear this method talked about on the things i've seen/read on the web, though, so maybe I'd guess its a less commonly used practice.

As for your art, thats a ton of drawing! On top of quick studies like these, complement them with longer studies where you really zone in and focus on getting things accurately. Even these quick ones look pretty good, so using them as a basis for longer drawings should be an easy transition.

Do you have any examples of the kind of drawings you're shooting for? That might give a better idea of what kind of feedback you'll get, especially since this skill will be for your own purposes mostly rather than as a career :)

Cheers
PS, do you have a link to your 3d work? i'd love to see some of it

Messages In This Thread
RE: VickGaza - Help me learn 2D char. design - by Patrick Gaumond - 11-28-2017, 01:59 AM