Gerben's Sketchbook - Sharpening the axe
(02-07-2021, 09:32 PM)Zorrentos Wrote: ZorrentosYour CHOW is looking quite good! As an illustration, it certainly works well! However, I'm a bit curious about some of the functions of the scuba diving suit. Like, what are those "fins" on his legs supposed to do? This is one of those times where I would really like a breakdown with some explanation of the design.

Thanks! I felt super rusty (and still do) but I had a blast and was nice to see the other entries as well! I've got a design sheet for the "fins" but yes I totally should have presented that better. I'll touch it up and post it later. 

(02-09-2021, 07:02 AM)Peter Wrote: PeterHey man great work so far :) Really digging that scuba diver painting in particular.

In reagrds to omitting information from studies. As long as you have set your intention for your study and felt like you have achieved that then I guess it doesn't rally matter haha. I've been doing some landscape studies recently and didn't bother with the figures since I was just focusing on studying his colour choices. :)

Thanks Peter! Yeah I guess you're right, but when following Craig Mullin's advice he says "Try to get the main information down as quickly as possible." To which then I feel I can't really omit a foreground character! Oh well. 

Here's some new work I did in between working on a game. Finally something in my sketchbook again. Been way too busy doing digital and 3D that I really quite neglected it, as well as my gouache set. #2021goals. I want to push this into a full fantasy illustration, something I really don't have in my portfolio. 

Very happy with this boy, despite my hesitant start. I felt so overwhelmed trying to capture the detail but somehow I managed, within 30 mins. I was quite warmed up, unlike the 2nd one, so that might help.

Quite happy about the relationships and colors here, though initially I did paint it too cold. It's easy to fix using color balance but somehow I thought using actual paint and palette would make this easier!

"No man is more unhappy than he who never faces adversity. For he is not permitted to prove himself." - Seneca

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gerben's Sketchbook - Sharpening the axe - by gerbenpasjes - 02-10-2021, 07:48 AM