License agreement on Art Station and New Grounds etc
(10-28-2022, 08:21 AM)Pubic Enemy Wrote: I have no sophisticated legal perspective so I may be completely wrong, but they specify that they would only do so "on the Site" or "in connection with providing the Services". So they're not granting themselves the right to modify, distribute or sell people's content outside of ArtStation.

The bit about modifying art is a bit dubious-sounding, but since AS presents themselves as the cool, hip, platform-of-choice for professional artists, it is safe to assume that they wouldn't do anything distasteful because it would be bad PR. I mean, they still might, but probably not. Maybe there's a good reason they have for including that clause that we don't know about because of not being lawyers.

Hi PE,

Thanks so much for responding.  I figure that they're just covering their asses too — and I know a lot of pro artists are posting their work there (and I see all three of you have accounts).

Their example does say this agreement allows them to post your artwork on Facebook for promotion.  (I don't have a Facebook account but that opens the question as to FB's policy regarding images posted there)

Maybe I'm being over cautious — but through the years I've had artwork taken and posted on various sites without my permission.

A local guy I knew recently took an image of mine I'd sent just to share with him (a small jpg) — and he printed it out full size (and the quality was quite good) and told me he was going to have it printed on mugs before I shut him down on all of it.

That's why I always add copyright and all rights reserved to my images as just one more reminder to anyone who wants to save an image and use it without getting my permission.

I think I might start adding a watermark as one more level of protection.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts PE.  BTW — I see you're sharing some pretty cool stuff on Art Station I hadn't seen before!    I'll have to check out your AS page more often

Messages In This Thread
RE: License agreement on Art Station and New Grounds etc - by Jephyr - 10-31-2022, 12:01 PM