Digital painting critique
Hello! This is a cool concept, I like the concept of this interesting massive rock formation against a super simple and desolate landscape. I wouldn't worry about it taking 15 hours. I've easily spent that and more on stuff that didn't merit it, and didn't even turn out good. But that's how you learn, though. Were there things you could have done more efficiently, and was there a way someone could have done this and more in the same time? Probably, but it's fine.

My first thought on it is that the horizon is super low. That's not an issue, but if our eye level is that low, we should be seeing the underside of the rock formation. There's really no way around that. It could be how you have it, but then we would have to raise the horizon. You don't need 2pt perspective to draw this scene, but I like to put a grid on sometimes just to get a sense of space. I think with it you can see the rock is not really following perspective, and it would be more interesting to me if it were looked up at a bit rather than just straight on.

Besides that, I think you could really up the contrast, and make a big difference between light and shadow. A desert scene in full sunlight absolutely calls for it. Adding temperature difference in the shadow where the light from the sand bounces into it also for me improves the image. It makes it feel like the light is very bright, and hot, so it starts to give information about how we should feel looking at the concept beyond just what it is.

In terms of the design of the rock itself, I would say practice designing interesting shapes of shadow and light. Always paint with form, as if it's a sculpture you can carve into, starting with you biggest forms. Like this is basically a cylinder, with a big dome on top of it. If I can get that to read then I can start to cut into it and make it more fun to look at, and that's kind of what you need to do to level up. It's not anything to do with rocks specifically, it's just about giving things a sense of volume and interest

Messages In This Thread
Digital painting critique - by jinno20 - 04-24-2023, 10:28 AM
RE: Digital painting critique - by darktiste - 04-25-2023, 01:29 AM
RE: Digital painting critique - by JosephCow - 04-25-2023, 09:48 AM
RE: Digital painting critique - by darktiste - 04-25-2023, 10:05 AM
RE: Digital painting critique - by jinno20 - 04-26-2023, 11:29 AM
RE: Digital painting critique - by JosephCow - 04-26-2023, 01:33 PM
RE: Digital painting critique - by JosephCow - 04-26-2023, 01:43 PM
RE: Digital painting critique - by darktiste - 04-26-2023, 11:55 AM