Please help me finalize this illustration.
Thank you both for critique and thank you JosephCow for the overpaint. I should have come here earlier, I don't get the same level of critique elsewhere.

Maybe I shouldn't have posted the AI text, since it was just my inspiration and not a description of what I then painted. The ambush vibe was kinda on purpose, but probably a bad idea. Actually many of the parts you mentioned I did on purpose, so the problem starts with my way of thinking I guess :/

@darktiste: Yes, what I wanted to depict is a gorge with a waterfall and not a cave. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil%27s_Gorge_(Eifel), https://www.badurach-tourismus.de/attrak...bd0513a23d)

How would you show more of the characters backstory? I agree, that I do a lot of statue like characters that stare into the distanse stuff, any suggestions how to practice to draw more engaging characters? Yet I don't want to do exaggerated comic style stuff.

"What i would suggest instead of the naga being below is to making him above the paladin i would have the paladin sit on the stair looking up toward the naga which who would hang from the tree.A bit like a scene from the bible where the serpent is in the tree." That's a nice idea.

@JosephCow
The overpaint is beautiful! I like your composition so much more. Damn, I didn't intend it so romantic, but it's really nice. The way you remodeled the poses, the landscape, the light.

I'm a bit torn, because the original character design of the naga actually suggests that they look monstrous. More like Voldemort, with a jaw that parts in the middle. So that's how I want to paint him.

I actually did many of the things you both mentioned on purpose, so I'm unsure how to go on now. It seems like already my way of thinking of the scene is the problem. The naga was supposed to hide and blend into the environment. The paladin unaware of his presence. Both in thougts of the ongoing conflict with a hesitant hope for peace. In my intended scene he just realized that his order has been killing innocent beings and has yet to redeem himself to the naga people. So the meeting is a step into the unknown for him, with the flower marking the meeting spot. There is insecurity on both sides, but the paladin it set at a disadvantage since they were the aggressors.

Anyway, thanks for your both advice. I'll try to put it into practice now.

What would you suggest I focus my studies on (and how) if I intend to make more images of this type.
Also sorry if my english is weird.

"It's better to do the right thing poorly, then to do the wrong thing beautifully."

CD Sketchbook

Messages In This Thread
RE: Please help me finalize this illustration. - by Leysan - 01-28-2024, 06:19 AM