What makes a good study (need a bit of help)
I'd probably say getting your fundamentals down is key, research the human anatomy, what is under the skin, muscle, what is under that etc how everything connects to everything (the Loomis books are invaluable as mentioned above! check out the resources page there are many great links to helpful material there) and that website saraiza gave is excellent.
After looking at your sketchbook again I'd suggest drawing from life would be very helpful, not from a picture but from something that's in front of you. This will help you to understand light and how it hit's form. I would say try to paint using only value while doing this, do'nt draw in line work, so you take a large brush and start to put in the darks etc and then add in the different tones, as if you were actually painting on a canvas. There is an excellent free 5 minute video here http://www.ctrlpaint.com/home/2011/6/30/...value.html explaining how to go about it. Also there are many other videos and resources on this site (which has greatly helped me) to do with digital painting.

Also your scale of value in your grayscale studies is very limited don't be afraid to get into the darkest and lightest values, experimant with them. Overall I'd say studying from life would be the best way to help, and what you learn from these studies can be applied to your drawings from imagination, it will make you able to better draw without reference.

Hope that can be of some help to you :)

Messages In This Thread
RE: What makes a good study (need a bit of help) - by JonHop - 06-22-2012, 11:15 PM