Star Trek fan art/bookcover
Hey there,

Nice image, I can see you've got a good grasp on a lot of things. One thing I'd say is to focus on your focal points more, by using different types of edges, colour and contrast to lead the eye. Currently, there are sharp edges all over, that greens all over, and they're very close in contrast. I basically softened up a lot of unnecessary edges, mainly in the people at the back, changed them to be reddish, upped the contrast in the foreground. Added some soft gradient from the floor to create a bit more depth. Compositionally, there was quite a lot of dead space around the edges and at the top, that I felt were drawing the eye too much, and throwing off your thirds. Mostly its just using things in a more subtle way in order to draw interest and not over-work yourself unnecessarily. Other stuff: the spears making a pretty bad tangent with the head, but this can probably be fixed by lowering slightly and softening. She's very small on the canvas, but this might be necessary for the book, I don't know.

Hope this helps, keep up the cool work :)

[Image: simonarpalmer-startrekfanart.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
Star Trek fan art/bookcover - by Simonarpalmer - 08-05-2012, 01:46 AM
RE: Star Trek fan art/bookcover - by SamC - 08-05-2012, 04:33 AM