CD Cover Art Challenge
Hey all,

Finally had some time today to get started with the challenge!

The band I chose to do a cover for is The Heavy, a rock band from the UK.

Here's a few links to songs they've done if you're interested:

The Heavy - "Can't Play Dead"

The Heavy - "Short Change Hero"

The Heavy - "How You Like Me Now?

I started off by listening to some of their music to get in the right mood and listen closely to some of their lyrics. I then started reading a bit on their blog to see what they liked to share with others. After I felt I had a pretty good idea of who they are I started to create some thumbnails as I haven't done a square composition before. It was good fun though and even though the thumbnails aren't too good, I think they work acceptably well for a square composition:

[Image: JewelCaseFrontCover-Thumbnails.png]

For the first two thumbnails I wanted to stick to the undead/skeleton theme that's somewhat recurring in their work. I also really love the idea of the old bone bands playing music. For the third one (bottom left) I thought I would try and create a "greatest hits" album. The band has a good sense of humour so I thought I would go with a cartoon anvil that had been dropped on them with their feet sticking out.

The last thumbnail I still can't quite figure out, which is why I really want to push it. Looking at their discography they have a lot of surreal line art and graphical design so I want to go for something similar but since I am not all that good at either line work or graphical design I am having a hard time with this one, but that just gives me even more reason to make sure I at least try and do SOMETHING, so I will try to figure this out.

Once I've got the final thumbnail down I'll take a fresh look at it and decide which one to go with and then start doing some studies (especially end up having to do skeletons or a skull!).

That's it for now. Will keep you posted!

Opinions are like assholes... we've all got one of 'em
Blog - DA Profile "Eraza" - CD Sketchbook "Mathias' Markings"

Messages In This Thread
CD Cover Art Challenge - by Mathias - 12-03-2012, 11:01 AM
RE: CD Cover Art Challenge - by Mathias - 12-06-2012, 10:24 AM
RE: CD Cover Art Challenge - by doktordean-o - 12-20-2012, 06:21 PM
RE: CD Cover Art Challenge - by Mathias - 12-29-2012, 07:33 AM
RE: CD Cover Art Challenge - by doktordean-o - 01-08-2013, 12:52 PM
RE: CD Cover Art Challenge - by Mathias - 01-08-2013, 07:13 PM
RE: CD Cover Art Challenge - by doktordean-o - 01-08-2013, 09:38 PM
RE: CD Cover Art Challenge - by Mathias - 01-10-2013, 09:59 AM
RE: CD Cover Art Challenge - by Mathias - 01-11-2013, 10:16 AM