wip painting
veeeery nice! great to see the direction it's going in, and how you developed it from the original comp. the piece has a great mood to it and it is already telling a story. i really like the design of the horns, the hand, the lamp...

for CC, the two things that come to my mind are:
his nose-snout looks a little flat to me, have you thought about trying to get it to really stick out, to seem like a large volume going towards the viewer? perhaps he just isn't meant to have one, but either way, his face seems a little flat to me, which i think is down to it basically being split in half with two values, a dark side and a light side, but the distribution might have to change somewhat to bring the face out.

i really love his posture, and the shape/angle of his torso and robe. part of the depth thing i'm mentioning is a sense that the sense of perspective and form that starts with his body is somewhat lost with his head - perhaps this could be solved if his head wasn't facing the viewer straight on, if there was a slight angle to it. changing that would be a huge pain of course, but i'm just mentioning it anyway..

the last thing is that the bottom of the light-part of the lamp, compositionally, is a completely horizontal line, which kills some of the dyanism to me, and might look good with some more angled shapes?

ive tried a paintover to illustrate what i mean..

critiquing work is a tricky affair, i hope this was somehow helpful.

"If you want liberation in this life, there is no area that you do not watch. Watch the breathing, watch the posture, watch the flow of energy, watch the texture of the mind, watch the response to objects." - Namgyal Rinpoche

Messages In This Thread
wip painting - by par gin - 05-15-2013, 07:29 AM
RE: wip painting - by NRAG - 05-17-2013, 06:18 PM
RE: wip painting - by par gin - 05-30-2013, 10:27 PM
RE: wip painting - by Myriam - 05-31-2013, 04:42 PM
RE: wip painting - by aks9 - 05-31-2013, 07:04 PM
RE: wip painting - by Amit Dutta - 05-31-2013, 08:26 PM
RE: wip painting - by par gin - 06-03-2013, 09:57 AM
RE: wip painting - by Amit Dutta - 06-03-2013, 11:40 AM