Does constructive critic really works?
There's some great insight in here

I just posted a rant about critiques over in this thread (group commenting): http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3...ml#pid3652, I'd appreciate any thoughts on it

Imho constructive critique is super important. It certainly works, might not be necessary if you can critique yourself well. We can be friendly and helpful in our critiques.

It really boils down to what your mindset is and what your motivation for posting is, because there are lots of mind-sets we can get into. Sometimes we might want encouragement, sometimes critique..

Personally I hate getting critique for personal pieces when I present them in contexts of "hey guys look at this cool thing i made : )" and it's simply met with a judgmental eye. Art isn't only about critiquing to get better to get a job, we're supposed to be enjoying and appreciating the art we see, art's function is to enrich our lives, and so it can be disheartening or just irritating when your work is viewed through the wrong lens. i want critique when i post my art up for judgment, but sometimes we post our art to share, so i think its important to be clear what our intention is, and what the intention might be of the people who you are showing your work to.

I absolutely hate getting critical feedback from non-artists and non-artist friends, because i'm not showing them my work for them to tell me how it could be better, i'm showing it to share things i've made and that i like. Kinda as if you tell your friend a story about something that happened to you, and instead of commenting on the story and experience you shared, they critique your storytelling abilities.. huh.

But when I come to places like this, my mindset is different and I post things that I want critique on, when doing studies or technical pieces I don't put my own feelings and things into the piece in the same way and so I never feel judged when i get harsh critique, almost the opposite, wanting more of it.

"If you want liberation in this life, there is no area that you do not watch. Watch the breathing, watch the posture, watch the flow of energy, watch the texture of the mind, watch the response to objects." - Namgyal Rinpoche

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does constructive critic really works? - by SpectreX - 06-06-2013, 08:32 PM
RE: Does constructive critic really works? - by aks9 - 06-23-2013, 10:03 PM