Trudging through mud
Please forgive my shatty paintover. Lots of things to do here. First and foremost...take a look at bird reference to see how the wings - particularly the feathers open up with they are curled forwards. Not saying that what I have presented here is the be all and end all...just an idea to add more to the piece. I would play around with it though, and work with those feathers, cause my solution with giant neon blue seems out of place ;)

Second: There are anatomical errors in the head plane and the arms particularly. The right hand side of the head is skewing off and up to the right, while the main torso of the body is in a diagonal set of parallel lines going up and to the left (does this make any sense). The left half of the face seems to be more in line with what the body is doing though. Also, anatomy wise, the left arm would not be protruding out so far from the body unless he was extending his arm away from himself way more. As is if it is just resting by the side then the musculature would be closer to the rib cage than you have shown here.

Thirdly: Watch your use of negative space, as well as depth via the use of atmospheric perspective. If all the stars are of the same brightness then they are pretty flat and lack depth. Play around with brightness...as well as saturation (closer more saturated and more contrast...farther the opposite). The negative space around the wings - particularly the right wing could use some sprucing up (hence why I had the wing furl forward more with feathers splayed out - just an example of breaking up the space...I feel mine still isn't the best solution..merely an idea).

Also you may want to move the entire figure to the right slightly to help break up that negative space on the far right. Again, play around with this. Sometimes (though not always) a symmetrical piece works well with the figure closer towards the center...again sometimes.

Hope this helps a bit...this could work out nicely if you tweaked a bit more.:)

-TeT-

Attached Files Image(s)

Keep your dream alive, feed it daily!

SB thread http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3551.html

Messages In This Thread
Trudging through mud - by Solofade - 07-14-2013, 01:29 PM
RE: Trudging through mud - by Amit Dutta - 07-14-2013, 09:47 PM
RE: Trudging through mud - by Solofade - 07-15-2013, 01:48 AM
RE: Trudging through mud - by Amit Dutta - 07-15-2013, 07:29 AM
RE: Trudging through mud - by Solofade - 07-16-2013, 09:59 AM
RE: Trudging through mud - by Amit Dutta - 07-16-2013, 10:43 AM
RE: Trudging through mud - by Tetsuo - 07-16-2013, 02:47 PM