Treetop Highway - Progress Critique
Ward217 - Thanks! Doing linework is helpful for me because I'm not particularly skilled in coming up with cool compositions and designs using purely value and colour. I always end up with the same boring old compositons and shapes when I start with just painting. But that's just me, and I definitely want to get better in that aspect as well. What you mentioned is very true. I think starting out using photos as shortcuts without regarding your own knowledge of the fundamentals isn't very useful in terms of learning. For learning purposes it's definitely important to do everything by your own hand.

The reason why I chose this method is really because I wanted to try something new. For the longest time I've been painting things "manually", and I felt like mixing it up this time round. Trying a different painting process is really quite refreshing! But I admit, if I was to approach this painting "pure" I would have to do studies of trees, forests, wood, insects, branches and do colour comps and mood studies and all that good stuff on the side and then tackle the whole painting again from scratch. And I was too lazy to do all that, haha.

I think what's important is just not to treat these things as crutches. Meaning don't use them as excuses to not learn something that you don't know how to do - like "oh my colours are weak but it doesn't matter because can always colour pick from photos". That sort of stuff.

Anyways no problem man, all the points you bring up are great food for thought! It's important to be reminded of all these things once in a while.

Newcalibre - Man you did it again! Thanks for pointing out all those weak spots - I swear I would never have noticed (or thought about it) myself. That road that ended aruptly was a blast in my face. I have no idea how I could've missed that. I reworked both of those areas.

Great point on the camera angle. I was sort of winging the perspective a little - so that would explain if some parts of the image might seem, I don't know, "wobbly"? Camera lenses are definitely a topic of study I should look up on. Huge thanks again man! I really appreciate all the feedback you're giving me.

Alright! So, I did I what could till the deadline. Below is my wip since my previous post. Basically added the insects, and reworked the areas that Newcalibre pointed out. More details and cleaning up. Adding micro details to an area really makes all other areas of the painting sort of "fade out", I noticed. I should probably learn how to control it better, though.

And here's the final I submitted! Added figures, more details, cleanup, etc. And a bunch of post effects! Colour correction, colour dodging to pop out certain areas, stuff like that. My favourite part, haha, just messing around, no stress.

Self-crits! I can't let myself off that easy!

A - The main "flyover" looks pretty boring in terms of design. I suppose I could add more interesting details like scrollwork, or buttresses or carvings or... lamps? Or something at least. Looks pretty bland now.
B - My figures are really rough and look kind of silly. Ideally I would like to work on them more and make them look like, you know, real people. Not dolls. Putting figures in the context of a painting is one of my weaknesses, so I'll have to address that sooner or later.
C - Underdetailed, messy areas, I could probably work on them more.
D - The messiness of the treetops are really bugging me (the downside of working from photo textures?). I don't think the way they are painted now looks very appealing, or even "realistic". It looks like a huge stuck-on texture. I guess there's no choice but to study some trees and rework it?

Oh and important to note, for some reason I made all my trees like "mushroom" shaped. Which is kind of weird, not really sure it happens much in nature.

I'll probably work on it a little more, but for now I'm gonna let it lie and take a break from this painting. And maybe come back to it on a later date. Let me know what you guys think!

(whew, long post)

Messages In This Thread
Treetop Highway - Progress Critique - by LongJh - 11-02-2013, 12:39 PM
RE: Treetop Highway - Progress Critique - by LongJh - 11-09-2013, 05:10 PM