Poll: How should I computer?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mac Pro
50.00%
1 50.00%
iMac
0%
0 0%
Something Else
50.00%
1 50.00%
The construct of an abacus held in my minds eye
0%
0 0%
Total 2 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results | Edit poll ]

Creative Professional Grade Computer
Hi Daggers!

I recently began a Masters Program in Design and Illustration and my current Macbook Pro just isn't cutting it. I've had it for a while so that's no surprise, but even with some extra RAM it is crashing when I try to do digital painting at high resolutions. So I am in the market for a new computer and I could really use your suggestions. I have been using apple computer for a long time, and while I respect that there are many viable PCs for creative work I'd rather not change horses at this exact moment in my life.

I am intrigued by the recently announced Mac Pro (the one that looks kind of like a trash can) It is super duper expensive, but I have some money from my graduate school loans set aside just to buy a new computer. I'm willing to bite the bullet and shell out for something nice that will last me and get the job done but I am wondering if I am kidding myself with thinking I need all that power. Anyone have a 2013 iMac? Is that working for you? Does digital painting, design, and/or possibly some light 3D modeling push up against the computers limits ever? Is it a stupid idea to spend so much money on a computer or is it a stupid idea not to while I have the opportunity. I kind of feel like I am talking myself down from a cliff.

Thoughts?

Messages In This Thread
Creative Professional Grade Computer - by Inkwood - 12-22-2013, 03:34 PM