Sketchbook & Progess Log - The journey is the reward!
Gestures are pretty important, but remember that they are only the essence of the character only.

Most people forget simple shapes.
Try this as an exercise sometime: Using the three basic shapes (square, triangle, and circle) try and create a few characters using these as basic foundations to use for the attitude of a character.
What I mean is look at the psychology of shape as it relates to your character.
Square = very solid.
Triangle = aggressive, angular.
Circle = very rhythmic, flowing.
Try and combine these three shapes in interesting ways to create a basic character.

These newest from your head are very interesting and I hope to see more like these and that Leyendecker study is a helluva good try!
Another thing to try for is brush variation.
Try and pick out three brushes that you really enjoy and use them in tandem at different parts of your painting.
For example, use one jagged brush for your glass materials, one smooth for flesh, and one textured for things like stone.
It can make some interesting results and also help you find your focal points in your more illustrative work.
Are you trying to be a designer? An illustrator? A painter?
You can of course do all of these, but it's good to narrow focus at first so that you can work individually.
I can't wait to see more, and I think you are really on a good roll!

LE SKETCHYBOOK ~ BLOGGY
There is usually more on my blog...

GIVE A CRIT, GET A CRIT!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sketchbook & Progess Log - The journey is the reward! - by matkaminski - 06-11-2014, 02:13 PM