Character Critique?
Hi, I'm new to the forums, and you're further than I am in rendering skills so pardon if my critiques are off.

Big improvement on the silhouette, the asymmetry and the weapon add a lot of character and make interesting thoughts to ponder for the viewer.

The values seem a bit muddy and you should try pushing it a bit more. A band-aid trick I've been trying to out-grow for pushing my values is to create an unsaturated layer of the artwork, fix it's levels, and set it to overlay over the original. Then adjust fill/opacity to taste.

I also find that working on any background other than white helps me judge the values better. Such as solid gray for example. Don't fully understand why yet, but it might have something to do with the white canvas affecting how I see light.

Right now the face stands out with color, but once you push the values, the increased contrast might pull attention away from it so darkening the cape might help bring the attention back to the face with it's overall contrast against the image as a whole.

Aside from value/contrast, color choice, and saturation should help you drive the eye towards key points on the image.

Something is off about his left foot, might be better to have it twist outwards like the other foot, and maybe add a floor shadow to "ground" the figure.

I'm attaching a quick redline(?) of the image to try and illustrate my suggestions. Hope you don't mind.

All in all, good work with the image and look forward to the finished work.

Messages In This Thread
Character Critique? - by DanialG - 02-20-2014, 07:54 AM
RE: Character Critique? - by Jonas Jerde - 02-20-2014, 07:05 PM
RE: Character Critique? - by DanialG - 02-20-2014, 11:39 PM
RE: Character Critique? - by Jonas Jerde - 02-22-2014, 07:08 AM
RE: Character Critique? - by pandaladie - 03-03-2014, 11:29 AM
RE: Character Critique? - by DanialG - 03-05-2014, 08:49 AM
RE: Character Critique? - by meat - 03-05-2014, 01:33 PM
RE: Character Critique? - by CrusaderPhoenix - 03-06-2014, 09:15 AM
RE: Character Critique? - by DanialG - 03-07-2014, 12:47 AM
RE: Character Critique? - by Pictomancer - 03-07-2014, 07:49 AM