how do you manage social media and external influences on your art?
So, I have noticed for myself recently (well over the last 6 months or so), that I have been heavily withdrawing from contact with other artists through most social media and things like Skype and Hangouts etc. I still visit the occaisional forum and am relatively active on a small amount of time daily here on CD. I also haven't been posting (ie spamming) every single little thing I do everywhere that facebook seems to attract a lot of.

Ok so here's the question, do you as artists go through this kind of withdrawal as well and do you think it will be a hindrance if i continue on this path? While i have been definitely improving my work, i feel that seeing the ridiculous amounts of spammed work by other artists is adding a huge amount of noise to my own development. Getting inspired and motivated is great, but the amount of clones out there is huuuge and I feel it was preventing me from just exploring whatever i wanted more naturally. I guess what I'm wanting to get a sense of is, is this just me or do others also go through this kind of withdrawal? Do you think it is good or bad, or just dependent on your personal circumstances?

I'm loving only visiting facebook sporadically though, that's a definite improvement, it's such a self serving waste of time. I also have never been approached on facebook for work though i have on dA and tumblr or just by email, so I assume it's mostly for artists to spam eachother than anything else. Does someone else have other experiences, would love to hear them and your views on this!

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta

Messages In This Thread
how do you manage social media and external influences on your art? - by Amit Dutta - 03-26-2014, 06:00 PM