how do you manage social media and external influences on your art?
(03-28-2014, 06:02 AM)monkeybread Wrote: ... Ok so next question : how many of you follow art directors on facebook or twitter by blog etc? I haven't bugged any really high profile ones yet with my work....not quite at the skill level yet, but have you guys done it on fb or twitter? A mate of mine said he had and got a lot of work from Paizo as a result. I personally think email is much more professional and less intrusive, but am I just being an old fuddy duddy?

And #2 : when i see a post about something realy awesome that happens to an artist on a similar skill level to mine (for example a mate of mine just got into Spectrum!) I have small twinges of jealousy interspersed in the happy for them feeling. I feel so petty when that happens, but I do have to control that feeling away. I was wondering if anyone else gets that?

I don't follow any famous artist or memorize their name as some of my classmates/fellow artists seem to do. I have many artist blogs bookmarked, but I only read something there once in a while. Those who have podcast, I listen to more often while painting. I am already a slow and sparse reader, and when I do read, it tend to be either books, news articles, or smutty fanfiction, unfortunately. I think I don't have the energy to follow that many people. A couple who really awed me I would pay extra attention to anything they get mentioned in, or even look them up. Otherwise, I study what I need at the moment, and visit museums.

I used to get that jealous feel too, while being happy for a friend, or just someone I know of. I don't like it, so every time I catch myself doing it I sand the jealousy down, and emphasize the happy feeling as close to the moment of occurrence as possible. After a few years of that, I still get that prick of jealousy, but it's small and fleeting, so it doesn't get in my way of interacting with said friend, should we happen to be face to face. I mean, hey, they must be doing something right other than sheer luck, so might as well use the time and energy on figuring out what it is, and then deciding if I should learn and do the same ('cos sometimes you shouldn't!), instead of spending that on being jealous and risk acting/speaking under the influence of jealousy, in ways that you'll feel stupid about later. The more you're able to be truly happy for other people, the more the world will open up to you.

@Madzia: Sorry mate, I'm used to people comparing "achievements" in terms of age around me, and not always nicely. It seeped deep into my thinking. I want to be free of that and think your way too. Let's be awesome artists at 50 together! It means we better exercise too, to have good energy reserve at 50.

Focus.

Messages In This Thread
RE: how do you manage social media and external influences on your art? - by meat - 03-28-2014, 08:52 AM