JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master!
Jon I'll try that, zooming out, see how it looks but I think it's a scanning issue, I'm no where near competent enough with a tablet to ink these digitally. They look digital cause I use the levels adjustment to make all the lines solid black. Working towards comic book pages so I want to get a clean even black and white. My scanner set to 300dpi gives me around 2500 x 1600 for a page, and it looks great, but when I size it down to post online I get those jagged edges. I think I found a way to do it though, using a layer mask over all the blacks then adding a tiny amount of feathering and smoothing (basically anti-aliasing it), then when I size it down using the 'best for smooth gradients' setting it looks better.

I did this one using the method above:

[Image: 9lmFDr0.jpg]

Here's a link to the HQ file ( http://i.imgur.com/PLClvWP.jpg ) if you wanna see how it looks in full res. To make it look better I'd need to scan it at 600dpi, which my scanner can't do : (

I'm pretty damn happy with this picture though! Lots of issues with the drawing itself but the inking seemed to work out - a couple of little slips here and there but I'm able to put lines right where I want them with the correct line weight using brush and ink, most of the time. I'm starting to get the hang of the feathering techniques too. Also, it's my first comic book panel, this is a pretty huge landmark for me since making comics is what all my study and practice is gearing towards. I was starting to feel like it's such a far off goal - it still is, but I know now that I can make a comic panel! Just need to keep working on upping the quality now.

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453

Messages In This Thread
RE: JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master! - by JyonnyNovice - 10-15-2014, 08:58 AM