JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master!
Did lesson 2 of painting with light and colour. This was about value, seemed to get much better results with these.

I will give a quick summary:

They talk about 'exposure' in a drawing, which I never thought about before. Basically you decide on whether to play up the darks or the lights, and leave one of them really burned out / crushed with very little detail in it and put more rendering and details into the other one.

You set your value range at the beginning, and choose three values. If you're exposing for light, you choose the light and mid value close together, if it's for dark you choose the dark and mid closer together on the value scale.

Then really really squint hard and make decisions right at the beginning over what will fall into light, mid or dark then use the lasso tool to create shapes and start to recreate the scene in front of you. You don't have to stick to reproducing the exact values in front of you, and need to make decisions over what will fit into light mid or dark. Dice Tsutsumi says that as long as you are decisive, even if everyone doesn't agree on the result, you will make a nicer piece of art.

After getting the 3 value picture laid in, you can work on rendering the details. Starting with this 3 value painting, it's much easier to keep values working together since you know if it's in the 'darks' you should only go up a little bit on the value scale, or if it's in the lights you should only go down a little bit.

For me these worked better than my still life paintings since I'd made those decisive decisions - which did not truly reflect the reality in front of me but ended up making nicer pictures. With my paintings before I was trying to put down every single colour and value exactly as I saw it, which ended up with a kind of washed out unclear value structure.

Here is what I came up with:

(This one was abandoned cause it was getting too complex for me)
[Image: 19JDBlC.jpg]

[Image: GydQHZW.jpg]

[Image: 38ePww1.jpg]

[Image: ZDbW4VR.jpg]

[Image: vn2Wmf1.jpg]

The nice thing about getting this very clear value structure down is you can play with the levels to look at different moods and everything still works together:

[Image: m9iOqOI.jpg]

Finally a crappy still life! Cylindrical objects are so hard... gonna draw lots of cylindrical objects for my warm ups for a while:

[Image: I0tixq3.jpg]

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453

Messages In This Thread
RE: JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master! - by JyonnyNovice - 01-11-2016, 03:16 AM