CRIMSON CHOW #3 - The Tinkerer WIP
I'm late for the party, but I brought some sketches and crits (those count as either orange juice and biscuits or beer and weed, you choose)

crackedskull- The last WiP shows a lot more of the overall details (I particularly like the work on the legs), but I think your initial sketch has way more impact with the lighting and color choices (this is my illustration side of the brain talking btw, ignoring design over mood and general prettiness :v)
The character could use a bit more gesture, think of the importance of the face and hands considering his description and role.
Maybe experiment bringing stuff from the earlier studies like the clothing and elements of old military portraits (that steampunk napoleon dude) Keep it up.

rafa- Those faces kick some serious butt, great stuff. The full body sketch looks amazing as well, very clean and stylized forms.
I like the pose and silhouette and find it hard to not nitpick stuff that doesn't really matter, but its everything I've got lol.
It's very early to describe what could be different materials and surfaces at this point but one thing I think is that some of the detail and patterns need to be more consistent. Take the padded-looking area on the thighs, it doesn't blend (?) very well with say the robotic transformer cannon-arm or the sleek speed shaped heel/boots.

Jonesoda- They look very loose and slightly grotesque. Go on :D

Hypnagogic_Haze- Some of the shapes remind me of the robot girl from Metropolis, nice start.

pnate- You're cooking something, and I can't wait to see it ;) Bottom left and center are my favorites.

Jaik- I like the idea and the execution is coming along nicely, but some of the parts seem to be inconsistent within the design. For example, a major part of his body is shaped like a centipede, but the structures on the arms have a way more rigid approach. The insect-like robotic body gives you a chance to find inspiration directly from nature, go nuts and grab some parts from mantises, glue them to a crab, slap some wings and turn the result into a robot.
I would also advice not to take my advice literally :P

So here's a wip of my weird robo-creep thing.
I sketched a variety of characters with shapes and silhouettes before committing so I could avoid going for a design I would finish hating just like my last ChoW attempt lol.
Following the character's name and description I went for the more ominous ideas, so I gathered my references and basically started bashing old diving suits with astrological clockwork devices :v And I just realized I may have overdone it with the mechanical stuff, need to put some flesh on it.

Good work guys, cya later.

Messages In This Thread
CRIMSON CHOW #3 - The Tinkerer WIP - by pnate - 09-22-2014, 11:15 AM
RE: CRIMSON CHOW #3 - The Tinkerer WIP - by Jaik - 09-23-2014, 03:33 PM
RE: CRIMSON CHOW #3 - The Tinkerer WIP - by pnate - 09-26-2014, 04:08 AM
RE: CRIMSON CHOW #3 - The Tinkerer WIP - by Jaik - 10-01-2014, 08:28 AM
RE: CRIMSON CHOW #3 - The Tinkerer WIP - by homerid - 10-02-2014, 11:38 AM
RE: CRIMSON CHOW #3 - The Tinkerer WIP - by meat - 10-06-2014, 12:47 AM