Growing pixels: the perseverance sketchbook
Time for an update. :)

I am still working on these self-assigned 10 day challenges, although I went through a mini-crisis the other day, and felt totally lost as to what I should focus on during the next one. And for the first time, I actually had this really big urge to do something from my imagination. That was a first, and I know it's only natural for most of you guys, but given my uncertainty and the weaknesses I know I should work on, it was quite refreshing. Sun

So these are the next additions to my improvement quest:

10 day-challenge theme: Values

[Image: SrSs6si.jpg]

10 day-challenge theme: Perspective

[Image: SI0VTz5.jpg]

I also completed Noah Bradley's 21 days to be a better artist challenge. It felt sooo good doing something every single day, even if I pushed through the next day with only 4 hours of sleep. I think this whole period helped me a lot to just begin and get back to doing some master studies, since the taste I had from all those I had previously made was sort of.. unsatisfying and felt kind of forced. By the end of the challenge though, I have the feeling that I got a little bit better in measuring and eyeballing distances and relationships between shapes, although I'm far from where I want to be. What I struggled mostly was skintones. Never had done that in color, and in every master study I did for this challenge, I went for way too desaturated color choices than they actually were.

[Image: 2GSHANl.jpg]

And so I went back to complete this master study by Bouveret, which I had started in late December last year. It was so off that I had to re-do almost all of the block-in, so that was definitely encouraging in a way, to see that I am judging all these relationships between the different elements a little bit better. Still 5 more to finish and call these 20 b&w master studies done though. I'll try to learn as much as I can from the last five and do it on my own terms, without stressing over the comparison or the many mistakes I will probably make.

[Image: d8iKgZu.jpg]

10 day-challenge theme: Surface anatomy - (mostly) Vanderpoel studies

[Image: sLYkVmm.jpg]

Has anyone tried out the 21 days challenge btw? :)

Hopefully the next update won't take so long. Until then!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Growing pixels: the perseverance sketchbook - by Minksy - 04-06-2015, 03:25 AM