Poll: Bring back the "like" button on the forums?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, bring back the "like" button.
47.62%
10 47.62%
No, don't bring back the "like" button.
52.38%
11 52.38%
Total 21 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Bring back the "like" button on the forums?
I voted yes, but actually I don't think either way will be a big a deal.

Seems to me the real issue appears to be one of true engagement vs the perception of engagement.
Many people against it, seem to be arguing that the presence of a like button somehow has some supreme power over their own conscious decision to take time to comment and/or help others.
Honestly if it does dissuade someone from doing so then the real problem isn't the like button, it's a lack of any true desire to help in that person. Making it disappear won't somehow magically incline people to be more altruistic; this is a nice fantasy. They will just do absolutely nothing at all.

Personally speaking I have never deferred writing a comment or offering critique for clicking the like button instead when I know I have something constructive to say that I think will help. I'm not bragging, but I spend a lot of time trying to help people. This is a choice I have consciously made because of my observations of how miserly people seem to be with their time and effort even when they do bother. So I make the effort and it is its own reward almost every time. Although to be honest I have slowed down a lot more recently, because I am much busier now and it gets a little tiring to be more active in a forum where most of the activity is people posting their own work first and foremost only in their own sketchbooks.

The issue people have brought up seems to be about the like button not promoting engagement. if people want more engagement, then each and every one of us has to decide to comment more whether the button is there or not. It is easy to make it a scapegoat rather than looking at your own interaction level and why that might be lacking.

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bring back the "like" button on the forums? - by Amit Dutta - 06-21-2015, 09:46 AM