Sites to LOOK FOR FREELANCE at?
@Punk-A-Cat: Thanks, I tried! :D

@Jeso: I totally get you on all that. Freelance gigs = da Struggle when you're starting out, and spending a ton of time doing lots of free work is just bad (I'm currently facing that issue, but I only just realized how it's screwing me up). I am sorry for that bit of bad advice! I probably should have specified just doing like one or two free projects at any given time, and space them out a bit. There is, however, a reason to do some free work: it's portfolio-building work that also acts as peer-to-peer marketing. Going back to that animal shelter example, say you've absolutely floored someone with the work you did there. If one of their friends needs some work done, guess whose name is going to come up? Most likely, it will be yours. Bam, there's an opportunity to charge for some work (I'm not setting aside the fact that some people are complete jerks and won't throw your name around, because that does totally happen, but I've noticed that that's kind of our fate as freelancers).

Another thing that I was only recently made aware of (thanks to the wisdom of Se7enLives), is that it's pretty clear when you're working for money versus when you're working for passion. I'm a pretty greedy bastard a lot of the time (and am drowning in student loans), so this is something I really struggle with. I tend to think "It doesn't pay me? Fuck it then.", which is fine until/if I become an art mill.  The result is I only draw when there's money involved, which means I'm robbing myself of chances to improve (both my skills and paychecks). I have no idea if you identify with this at all, but I figured I share that anyway.

But yeah, I'm glad I could help and keep us posted on your progress! :D

Messages In This Thread
Sites to LOOK FOR FREELANCE at? - by Jeso - 09-17-2015, 07:09 AM
RE: Sites to LOOK FOR FREELANCE at? - by Jeso - 09-17-2015, 07:43 AM
RE: Sites to LOOK FOR FREELANCE at? - by Jeso - 09-27-2015, 01:23 AM
RE: Sites to LOOK FOR FREELANCE at? - by GabbyTaylor - 10-02-2015, 09:09 AM