Gonna build a new PC for digital painting–what specs do you recommend?
Thanks for the advice, Piotr! Yes, I figured that painting would depend on RAM, an SSD, and most importantly of all a good monitor. Funnily enough I already figured on 16 GB when planning my build. :D

Oh man that is one sexy monitor. Looks all-around awesome. Sadly, though, the required software doesn't seem to have any Linux support except for Red Hat Enterprise, which comes as a really pricey subscription service. (╯︵╰,) I would be stuck with Windows, which I decided to avoid after Windows 10. Still, if I did decide to run Win 7 that would be a serious badass monitor to run.

But how about this one? http://www.necdisplay.com/p/desktop-monitors/pa272w-bk

Similar specs, a bit less expensive, and (critically for me!) much better Linux support. :D Both the Multisync software and the Spectraview ii are compatible with most Linux distros. Yay!!

Well, I used to have little interest in 3d–but I saw a lot of artists who make 3d sculpts to use as bases for painting. Also, a bunch of guys specialize in both painting and 3d modeling. So I got curious. Blender looks like a good place to start. As for the graphics card–I've heard a Quadro or Firepro is good if I want to do a lot of 3d, of course, BUT I've noticed that 10bit capable monitors (including the one you shared) always say that 10bit is only possible with such a workstation card. Still unsure of that matters overmuch, but it is worth keeping in mind I guess.

BTW, what computer and monitor do you use to paint? And do you use a commercial gaming card (Geforce or Radeon) or a workstation card (Quadro or Firepro)? I'm guessing that a lot of people just use the gaming ones but I could be wrong here.

"Drawing is a skill like hammering a nail. You might not be great at it yet, but there is nothing stopping you from gettin' down and hammering away." -Irshad Karim

Sketchbook!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gonna build a new PC for digital painting–what specs do you recommend? - by Mechanizoid - 04-09-2016, 01:55 AM