Gonna build a new PC for digital painting–what specs do you recommend?
You don't need a 10 bit monitor at all. Depends what you are going to use it for; except for the most exacting print standards 8 bit will suffice. Keep in mind that most people will be viewing things on 8 bit screens anyway so all that extra info will be totally lost. As you said you also need to make sure the pipeline you use supports 10 bit (g card, apps, screen etc). With linux as frar as I've read, not all apps support 10 bit so you might have some issues there.

I'm building my own machine as well since my workstation laptop kinda died. Check out pcpartpicker.com . It's an awesome site to do custom builds on. Mostly gaming rig builds on there, but it's the best way to keep track of parts. Love it.

I have a budget of sub 1000 usd for a box and 500usd for a monitor...cuz I am a poor artist, and I can still get a grunty thing. I would go for an i7 if you can afford it (which I think you can :) ) They also do hyperthreading so if you have a quadcore, it gives you 8 threads. Not sure if blender or Krita support hyperthreading, i forget totally with all the research saturation i have been doing. Shouldl be blazing for rendering. A 2Gb card minimum, but again a 4GB gtx will do nicely. I can't afford a quadro in 2gb let alone 4gb. Keep in mind that blender seems to only support Nvidia based cards, so no radeons or amd chipsets for the gpu. Haven't fully researched this yet.

I've looked hard at amd for cpu,  because they give you more cores for the pricepoint, but without DX12 support they don't meet their possible full potential yet,  and unless you want to hedge bets on how useful that upgrade and support will be in the future I decided to go with Intel chips instead. They seem to beat amd in performance without supposed DX12 support anyway. I can only afford a middling i5 :( but it is still going to be fine for rendering and 3d work as far as need it.
16GB ram if you want to do more than basic 3d, but even 8Gb will be fine for blockouts as well as Krita, but every bit extra helps!

I highly recommend an ssd. 2 if you can afford it. 1 for OS and apps. 1 for a dedicafed scratch /projects disk and a large capacity mechanica drive for archiving and longer term storage. Don't go below 7200rpm.

My dead-but-hope-to-be-revived laptop workstation is a dell m4800. I7 cpu (forget exactly, maybe a 4900? ) with 16gb ram, 1gb quadro k1100m and a 255gb ssd, on win 8.1. Works like a dream if only the bastard started up. More than adequate for the most demanding high res 5-6k files in krita, 1k brush sizes with a bit of lag but that's krita's fault which they are trying to address with version 3.

Blender was fine, but the gpu struggled a bit rendering at 1920, high samples, so  got better results rendering off cpu. Definitely pouring more money into my g.card and cpu over everything else when it comes to 3d, which I plan to do much more of.

with a budget of 2.5-3k usd, you will get something that far exceeds any painting needs whatever you get for a custom build! The question becomes, pour itmall in that, or get only what you need with space for upgrades later, and maybe think about some other toys for work! Don't be scared to get geeky...I love this shit.i

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gonna build a new PC for digital painting–what specs do you recommend? - by Amit Dutta - 04-09-2016, 03:58 AM