Gonna build a new PC for digital painting–what specs do you recommend?
No major problems at all, though I had gone back to windows, more out of laziness when I went full time freelance. I got a cheap deal on my workstation and it came with win 8.1, and I couldn't be bothered switching out OS at the time.
I still use mainly only opensource and linux compatible apps, and have never seen the need to go to PS bcause Krita is great, and Blender too. I did find it a bit harder finding ports and equivalents for some things, especially good video editing soffware, which seem to be terrible on linux. Blender has good NLE built in, so I suppose if I played with that, it might suffice, but it's no aftereffects, which I really like. 
There is some frustration in not being able to find ports for some specific software, and trying to get them to work through wine. I used a windows virtual box sometimes, but it is pretty slow because two OS sharing the same resources, but most things can be worked around. Also a thing that surprised me a bit was, opening word documents and getting formatting to save correctly into word, even though supposedly supported well for open ofice and the ilk, was annoying as hell. Made it impossible for me to edit my day job office documents at home...probably not a big deal, but if you work between windows and linux machines, there might be some frustration ahead.

The only problem which is minor is that if clients want .psd files it can be an issue saving out from krita because adjustment layers and layer modes are handled differently. Most of the time I get around that by reducing everything to normal layers as much as possible and saving out as .tif

Mainly, linux is the bomb as an OS because it is so stable and resource efficient, and of course isn't run by evil megacorps wanting to spy on you. I don't think I shut down my machine in months and it ran as smoothly as the first day. Windows would have gone slower and slower eventually, farting and dying if it was on for that long. I however absolutely HAD to have a separate device that could access the internet to solve problems or I would have been totaaly screwed with troublehooting. It's definitely not for people scared of technical stuff and command line things and you must have good google-fu. Linux also tends to be way more hands on than newer windows machines, but that is part of the fun sometimes.

Quote: I have to get back to drawing right now, though. One thing I learned from Feng Zhou's podcast is that tools don't matter nearly as much as practice. I can practice with just a cheap pen and stack of paper, but no graphics card or drawing tablet will give me skillz. XD Enough CD for one day for me LOL!

Tools are just tools, the old adage holds true! Enjoy

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gonna build a new PC for digital painting–what specs do you recommend? - by Amit Dutta - 04-14-2016, 04:08 AM