Gonna build a new PC for digital painting–what specs do you recommend?
I got my basic build up and running (finally after some annoying initial wanking with the Sata connections). 
I temporarily installed win 8.1, which I will dual boot with linux (probably going to try out Manjaro this time around, or maybe Mint). Once I'm satisfied all the hardware works with Linux, I will kick windouch to the sideline.

Thought I would pop in some benchmark tests I've been running, so anyone reading can check what my specs result in.

CPU: Intel i7 6700 @3.4Ghz
Graphics: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 960 4GB OC edition
Ram: 16GB
Apps and OS Running on a Kingston V300 SSD

Nothing has been overclocked, and no tweaks done yet at all, so I could probably get some better results if I did down the line.

Blender BMW test:

Blenderartists.org thread to see other's specs and results

GPU render time: 2:35 mins
CPU render time: 4:40 mins

Cinebench R15 benchmark:
OpenGL: 116.76 fps (seemed to be blazingly fast, but I guess that's what you get with a Gaming GC)
CPU [multiple core]: 791  
CPU [single core]: 161
MP ratio: 4.92x

The cpu ranked quite high on list of comparisons they showed

I also did a brief test myself in blender and I am pretty damn happy with the performance. I am going to use a familiar heavy scene with lots of volumetrics that would take 15 minutes to render even at low samples, and see what this machine can do. :)
Might upload with further benchmarks if I do them.

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gonna build a new PC for digital painting–what specs do you recommend? - by Amit Dutta - 04-16-2016, 08:12 PM