On learning through "copying"
Quote:I was being a stubborn douche and didn't realize it.
Don't be silly. You were not! I know what I said was kind of harsh and borderline dickish (Now that I re-read what I said the last post). And I feel like I muscled you in! (which btw, you shouldn't!) I am a huge comic book enthusiast so anything remotely related to that topic, I discuss it with much gusto and passion!

I am super adamant about this issue because I've been through that 'copying' road and I don't want anybody to pick up the same mistakes as I did.

Making comics is an intense process. If we're talking about the big two, most artists need to finish 28 to 32 pages in less than a month. That's more or less a hundred panels. So in turn, that's at least a hundred composition options, on top of the actual drawing! Meaning most of the time, it is a rushed job. What I'm trying to get at, making comic books isn't as intricate, or isn't as well thought out as a finished illustration. Perspective's going to be a little wonky. Anatomy needs to give a little, and other what have you's. Even the top artist in the big books will have a bad panel or two.

I love me some Dragon Ball. I love Toriyama. But his Dragon Ball anatomy broke my sense of anatomy. I had to unlearn not to define every ab with a hard line! Just because that guy made abs look cool by drawing them in, doesn't mean I could make abs look cool if I did it the same way. Don't get me wrong, I still love how he does his characters. It's just that, I think it's a bad starting point for building a foundation. At least for me.

I half heartedly agree with Amit. While I believe there's always something to study from everyone, at the same time, I am not quite sure how the study process goes when it comes to comic books.

It's probably a good source of composition ideas that you could dissect it with a study? Depending on the artist, probably a good source of anatomy and perspective as well? Probably a good workbook to do 'spot the bad anatomy'? Probably you found a good Moebius sci-fi spaceship you want to dissect and dig into?

It all depends on what you're trying to achieve with the study. I don't know what your goal is, but I got the impression that you were trying to do anatomy studies because you're drawn into 'comic characters, mechs / robots and alien like stuff' and that's why I am rallying against.

But I think we can all agree on one thing. Do what you think that's right. I'm just trying to build up a good case like any good prosecutor would. In the end, you're the judge who's going to have the final say anyway! Regardless whether or not you're going to push through with your idea, I'm interested in seeing your work!

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead

Messages In This Thread
On learning through "copying" - by Agilix - 05-01-2016, 09:22 PM
RE: On learning through "copying" - by John - 05-01-2016, 09:41 PM
RE: On learning through "copying" - by Agilix - 05-01-2016, 09:50 PM
RE: On learning through "copying" - by John - 05-01-2016, 10:01 PM
RE: On learning through "copying" - by Agilix - 05-01-2016, 10:16 PM
RE: On learning through "copying" - by John - 05-01-2016, 10:26 PM
RE: On learning through "copying" - by Agilix - 05-01-2016, 10:32 PM
RE: On learning through "copying" - by John - 05-01-2016, 11:24 PM
RE: On learning through "copying" - by Agilix - 05-02-2016, 02:07 AM