Manoela's Sketchbook (and journal?)
Hello guys! So, I have some updates for the project. I hope you don’t mind me dumping a lot of text here, I asure you I’ll start posting more art about it soon enough! So, here it goes:

BRIEFING:(updated!)
To create TEN illustrations that can express the best quality I am able to produce right now with my craft.
Those ten illustrations will have the proportion of 1:0,7 and should be readable from a miniature scale and beautiful from a closer view. (CURRENT SIZE 25 x 17,5 CM)
The visual references for those ten illustrations will be the art of MTG, especially those of the green decks.They will portray creatures, sorcery, artifact, and land.
The recurrent theme of this illustrations is: GREEN DECK, RAINFOREST, AMAZONIAN FOREST.
Amazonian forest is a specific kind of rainforest in Brazil. Huge sequoia trees, moist environment, bromeliad and insane biodiversity. It is mystical by itself.
KEYWORDS: S curve, river curve, vibrant, cycle, whimsical.
KEYSHAPES: (patterns in clothing, ritualist paintings, animal stripes and so will follow those guidelines)

[Image: FMOgRup.jpg]
NAMING INITIAL IDEIAS: Hylaea, Nayades, Amazonia

CARDS(updated!)
Manoela Costa – Creature – Half-elf druid
A female figure with a crown of tiny pink flowers sits crosslegged on top of a giant Vitoria regia leaf on the water, there are paintings of nature motifs on the leaf and many mushroons, stones, runes and other druidic stuff ready for some sort of ritual.
Gabriel Barbejat – Creature – Human wizard
A male figure is sat among many old books in a dark place, like a study room occasionally invaded by some crazy tropical plants. Many candles light the place, many others have already burnt out their wax, and some of the light comes from glowing mushrooms on the ceiling. The man has an “eureka” expression as he points to one of the book pages.
Miranda, the familiar – Creature – cat
A brown stripped cat plays rolling in the ground with a small leaf. Patched warm sunlight hits her fur and green/brown moths fly around.
Miranda , the animal companion – Creature – Tiger
A huge tiger-like creature lingers in a lazy way hanging from a tree branch dominated by moss. Moonlight shines from across the leafs.
Treehouse – Artifact
A fantastic and complex house structure grows around and inside an enormous sequoia tree, with a basket elevator, some chimney-like structures and other unexpected sights. Many mushroons, bromeliad and other tropical plants invade the structure, the air is moist and sun shines through the canopies.
Solstice celebration – Sorcery
Many people gather joyfully and clap at a couple that participate on a matrimonial ceremony at the beach. It is midday and the waves touch their barefeet.
Laboratory accident -Instant
The wizard and the druid look alarmed as they stare at many empty dropped bottles of magic potions and a cauldron that lays at the floor. Colorfull goo is spilled from it, and small prints of catpwas come from it. .Huge cat-like eyes glow in the dark right behind them.
The power of decay – sorcery
An animal carcass/skeleton lays on the ground mostly covered by brown leaves and moss, many insects, worms and other creates crawl on top of it and small sprouts and tiny blossoms come out of the dead body, renewing the cycle of life.
Caetê Forest – Basic land
A deep forest with huge tall trees (up to 60 meters) and many tropical smaller plants all around. The air is moist and the sun can barely hit the forest floor.

Visual panel for MTG art related to the theme:
[Image: DSoRqla.jpg]

Visual panel from Amazonian forest:

[Image: xmB2n7K.jpg]

Color scheme created from those references above:
[Image: sWytTyx.jpg]

Visual panel for Gabriel, the wizard:
[Image: ohdKzXG.jpg]

Visual panel for Manoela the druid:
[Image: JyDpfza.jpg]
And finally a little bit of drawing! LOL Just a few doodles on that female character before I start with thumbnails and so:

[Image: wcDkfnL.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Manoela's Sketchbook (and journal?) - by ManoelaCosta - 11-08-2016, 02:22 AM