andofryn's sketchbook
@Artloader Thanks for your kind words and the recommendation, I'll give them a go sometime soon!

So life was happening again pulling my focus away from sketching and so on. I feel like I'm at a crossroads in my life where I have to make conscious life decisions to continue pursuing my current career path or focus on art. While I didn't make any decision that goes against my current career path (which is in a completely unrelated industry) I would say that with the decision I made so far I have put my career on hold (i.e. stay where I'm at now) so that I can focus more on drawing and painting.

This also means I haven't been drawing lots in the last few weeks as a lot of time was spent worrying and thinking. I had good momentum going previously with drawing every single day but I lost it.
I found this video posted on Reddit and it kicked my butt though when I saw it yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5RH3BdXDOY :)

Anyway, moving forwards! (Hopefully D:)

I have posted very little digital stuff so far, that's actually because in my previous update I had completely forgotten about the still lives and so on! So here they are:

This is actually copied from bumskee's digital painting tutorial, to sort of go through the process he describes and try to understand what he's talking about:

A cactus fruit from life trying to apply what I've learned from copying Bumskee

This is a very quick colour study I did some time ago

What I want to do in the end of course is digital illustration. But I found that I wasn't actually doing what I wanted to do, most of my time drawing I spent doing studies or random pencil sketches. While of course studies are important I think it's important to also do the thing I want to do, otherwise I might become a very boring person and will forget why I actually wanted to do this in the first place. So I did a few small thumbnails for some ideas I had floating in my head:

Some vanderpoel studies on how the pelvis and ribcage are constructed and how they attach to the spine and shoulders. Some of these are copies, some of them are from imagination, some are from photo ref.

Life drawing:

Some random sketchbook pages either from imagination or from sitting in a cafe sketching some people there

This is an attempt at sketching a coffee machine :/

Some hogarth studies, again some of these are copies, others are from imagination, I'm sure you can tell which is which :)

I started a new sketchbook for times when my brain is too tired to think (i.e. early in the morning, just before going to bed, or after a rough day at work). So I don't really care much about what I put in here, I want to draw but I don't want to think. So most of the times I just start putting down some random lines and go from there. Cool thing with this is that it's hard to be disappointed if you have zero expectations anyway.

Thanks for having a look!

Messages In This Thread
andofryn's sketchbook - by andofryn - 10-20-2016, 04:43 AM
RE: andofryn's sketchbook - by andofryn - 11-14-2016, 06:18 AM
RE: andofryn's sketchbook - by Artloader - 11-14-2016, 09:50 AM
RE: andofryn's sketchbook - by andofryn - 12-12-2016, 04:55 AM
RE: andofryn's sketchbook - by andofryn - 06-15-2017, 03:14 AM
RE: andofryn's sketchbook - by andofryn - 06-18-2017, 05:44 AM