Alopex's n00b Sketchbook of DOOM
Quote:I really like how moody your drawings are, very nice : D one thing i noticed is that you seem to be lacking the fundamentals.

Doesn't really surprise me to hear that about missing the fundamentals since I haven't had a formal art education.  But yeah, this makes it clearer that I'm going to have to go back and fill in the gaps that I've missed.

Quote:Maybe try doing some figure studies (quickposes oder stock photos on deviantart are great for that), maybe some anatomy books (Loomis, Bammes for excample), draw or paint stuff from life and try to figure out how it works.

Thanks for the suggestions!  I've seen Loomis recommended widely almost everywhere, so I did get his figure drawing book very recently and I've just started doing some work with it (will post when I have more examples accumulated).  I hadn't heard of Bammes before though, and thanks to your suggestion I now have his animal anatomy books on the way.

Quote:Also to help work on the fundamentals you could begin by drawing some still lives as well, simple things like cubes and spheres and then gradually add more complicated subjects

I'll be sure to give that a try!

Quote:Since you mentioned you commute to work, if you take something like the bus or train you can also use that time for drawing! Practice drawing the people sitting or standing.

Great suggestion but I live in a very rural area currently, so I have to drive.  No public transportation, no one from work close enough to carpool with.  They need to hurry up with those self-driving cars already.  ;)

Thanks to both of you again for your input.

Messages In This Thread
Alopex's n00b Sketchbook of DOOM - by Alopex - 01-11-2017, 11:21 PM
RE: Alopex's n00b Sketchbook of DOOM - by Alopex - 01-13-2017, 11:29 PM
RE: Alopex's n00b Sketchbook of DOOM - by Alopex - 01-14-2017, 09:05 PM
RE: Alopex's n00b Sketchbook of DOOM - by Alopex - 01-14-2017, 09:06 PM
RE: Alopex's n00b Sketchbook of DOOM - by Alopex - 01-16-2017, 01:34 AM
RE: Alopex's n00b Sketchbook of DOOM - by AlexShi - 01-19-2017, 01:07 AM
RE: Alopex's n00b Sketchbook of DOOM - by Alopex - 01-28-2017, 09:21 PM