Where it’s at - Illustrator looking to build skills!
Darkiste: Thanks I guess. I’m a she by the way.

John: Thanks for that paint over, you’re spot on. I definitely lost some of the darker tones. I randomly tried what it looked like with an instagram filter on it and saw that it looks way better with the contrast up a bit. Better separation between light and shadow really made a difference. Edit: I just checked out that image you linked, that is really helpful. I wasn’t quite sure what you meant by grouping tones but that makes it clear!

In terms of influences I have a bunch, I love energetic fantasy art like Wayne Reynolds and Jesper Ejsing, but I also dig more highly rendered stuff like Tyler Jacobson. James Gurney is a big influence as well, I love his ability to draw and paint what he sees and to paint historical scenes and fully realised fantasy environments with crowds, architecture and everything. I like an old historical illustrator called Angie’s McBride, look him up if you don’t know him. I have also been digging some weirder stuff like Zao Dao and Zeen Chin as well. I study at a local atelier so get some more of that sort of influence too. I have some more classical influences, like Edmund Blair Leighton and Orientalists like Jean-Leon Gerome. That’s all I can think of right now lol.

So basically a big melting pot, I’ll have to start some master studies I guess. Thanks for the welcome!

Slash razor: Thanks man, I think you’re right, as they say, ‘most painting problems are drawing problems’. I have been doing a heap of pen and pencil drawing lately, I’ll post some up.

I have been doing these based on Feng Zhu’s Advice in design cinema 89, kind of confidence building, building visual library and drawing skill at the same time. Its’s taught me to sit down for hours doing studies lol. I do 5-10 studies a day usually, about 20-30 minutes each. I have done 50 rock formations. 50 trees and am up to like number 20 on skulls. Here’s a couple.
[Image: haoIhs0.jpg]
[Image: moZCStH.jpg]
[Image: gdrWjsq.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where it’s at - Working illustrator looking to build skills! - by waronmars - 02-05-2019, 04:27 PM