Functional Design
(05-09-2020, 04:21 AM)JosephCow Wrote: Well, what's an example? Maybe i'm on the wrong track. Because there's so many different contexts where you might need to know how something works, especially if you're talking about design. And a lot where you wouldn't. Do you need to know the mechanics of a clock to draw it? no.

But then cloth, maybe you'd need to know how it folds and drapes. There's different kinds of folds, points of tension, etc. Those are mechanics too, and they effect its outward appearance. But again, if we are just talking about basic drawing stuff, my point is that knowing stuff like that might help, but it wouldn't enable you to draw cloth or anything else.
I kinda have a different opinion on that.I say it always help to know how thing work but ultimately it the intention(Story) that determine what the viewer is required to see.I would also argue that even a static clock require you know atleast it the visible component you don't need to know everything about the thing that the viewer doesn't see but it might be necessary if at one point or an other the viewer as to understand the function.Let say you draw a comic or draw for animation in those case there more chance that you have to know more about an object because there can be an actual interaction between a imaginary person and the object.It no longer just a stand alone illustration.

My Sketchbook

Perfection is unmeasurable therefor it impossible to reach it.

Messages In This Thread
Functional Design - by Forsaken Pluto - 05-08-2020, 12:42 PM
RE: Functional Design - by JosephCow - 05-08-2020, 02:23 PM
RE: Functional Design - by Forsaken Pluto - 05-09-2020, 01:26 AM
RE: Functional Design - by JosephCow - 05-09-2020, 04:21 AM
RE: Functional Design - by darktiste - 05-13-2020, 02:38 AM
RE: Functional Design - by Pubic Enemy - 05-09-2020, 07:44 AM
RE: Functional Design - by Artloader - 05-12-2020, 01:40 AM
RE: Functional Design - by darktiste - 05-13-2020, 02:28 AM
RE: Functional Design - by Forsaken Pluto - 09-13-2020, 07:50 AM