Creating a fool proof, simple schedule...?!
Hey man not sure I can give you anything helpful but here are my thoughts.

I think it is definitely a good thing to have some "art heroes" who you aspire to. It helps give some direction to your art journey.

When it comes to art study - your sketchbook already shows that you know how to study - I stand in awe of your work ethic and your plethora of study techniques so I am hesitant to suggest any more study techniques for you as you probably know them already.

It sounds like your main issue is not "how" to study but "what" to study and how to prioritise your studies.

My thinking here is that this is where having an art hero comes in handy. Prioritise the studies that will bring you closer to him. I will concede that we don't want to become clones of our heroes but I believe that before we actually reach their level we will have developed our own nuances that make us more than mere clones.

So my first strategy would be to contact my art hero and ask him to mentor me. This rarely succeeds because either they are too busy or I can't afford the mentorship or they just don't do teaching.

Next I will try to find any tutorials or classes that my art hero has produced and study from them.

If they haven't produced any tutorials then I study their art directly. I compare it to my own and see if I can identify any gaps. Once I have the gaps then I have the list of things I need to focus my studies on.

Your post really resonates with me as I also have identified Esad Ribic as my comic book art hero and want to push my work to be more like his. However I am stuck as he doesn't do tutorials so I end up jus t studying his work.

Finally I did a quick comparison of Kerschl's work with yours and in my opinion you're not a world away already :).

One difference I can see is in the level or realism - your work is more stylised than Kerschl's. Kerschl's work is stylised too but he has more realism than you. For example, Kerschl includes more realistic folds in clothing than you. If you're OK with that then there's nothing to work on here but if not then try to push the realism a little more.

Anyway - I hope that was of some use but if not please feel free to disregard no hard feelings :).

In any case I wish you all the best with the schedule Jyonny :).

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

Messages In This Thread
RE: Creating a fool proof, simple schedule...?! - by Artloader - 01-15-2021, 09:14 AM