Creating a fool proof, simple schedule...?!
@Bonesworth Thanks for the comment and the link, definitely took a lot from that!

@Gerbenpasjes Really appreciate the summary and notes. Read it really carefully and nodded along throughout all of it. Have come to similar conclusions this past few weeks! Will summarise my progress below!

Really appreciate everyone's advice and feedback, it's really helped me to narrow things down, combining all the suggestions and my own conclusions I came up with this approach:

1) A plan that is flexible, but is easy to jump into at a moments notice and get to work on:

I have this up on my whiteboard.

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] The headings are specific to what I figured I need to work on. [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Each item is 1 hour+ of study. I have a spreadsheet with about 5 exercises for each, so I can pick one and pick an exercise and immediately jump into work. Instead of setting a daily or weekly timetable to slot these in, I'm using counters next to them. One day I might do four, another day just one, doesn't matter cause I can see which ones have the least amount of checks and know I have to tackle those when my life is high.[/font][/font]

'Painting Study' is the highest right now, cause I have a set time everyday I do those which I never seem to miss. Props/Buildings/Environment lowest cause it's the hardest for me, but will be forcing myself to tackle those and not let them stay too low.

2) FINISH WORK!

Like the advice above about doing a big project, or multiple smaller projects, I need to make progress on finished pieces. Firstly, to see how well I can really do a piece when I give it my all, secondly for the sense of pride/accomplishment with having something that I can call 'art', thirdly for portfolio/social media to work towards those goals. 

Jeff Watts says "Take care of the starts, and the finishes will take care of themselves." I've been taking care of the starts for a really long time now! Ready to get to the finishes (and they don't really take care of themselves - I get that wasn't his point in saying that - still there's a ton of additional skills required imo! need to get practising those!).

In my case my finished work will be illustrations, I have 'illustrations' on my list so I can record how many sessions I'm spending on those. Next to it on the whiteboard I have a list of the illos I'm working on, so I can bounce between them all and not get fatigued whilst not losing track of the WIPs in a PC folder. The illustrations are meant to combine all the knowledge I am gaining in the study blocks, and apply it to something useful that has value beyond simply practising. Stuff that I can care deeply about to try and reinvigorate my love of art and why I started drawing in the first place (gonna take a while to get back there but determined to feel it again!)

3) Following professional instructors is more worthwhile than going my own way.

Have started doing Schoolism courses again, with my illustration practice I am able to apply the stuff I learn beyond doing the assignments. I will balance these and give equal priority to these courses and my study blocks.

Hmm that's all I think, could probably talk more about it but will see how it goes, and leave another update here at some point.

Let me know what you think or if it's useful to anyone!

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453

Messages In This Thread
RE: Creating a fool proof, simple schedule...?! - by JyonnyNovice - 02-11-2021, 04:06 AM