You, me and gesture drawing...
Quote:Well first of all give yourself a break if you don't want to go crazy.It ok to compare yourself to the master but understand your not there yet you cannot be expecting to already have there mastery.

For advise on gesture well the issue is that gesture to a certain degre abstract in itself it something that take time to develop the feel for it i would say.My advise is to persevere and also try to limit the amount of source you study from pick one and stick with it for a while than change to an other and once you have study a few mix what you learn as best as possible and see what work and doesn't,

Ah yes, I will do it slowly. It is a harder concept than it looks like.

Quote:Hey I'm kind of workin on it too. I find gesture to be a difficult concept just because there are so many different takes on it. Some people say don't draw the contours, just draw the flow of the figure. Some people say draw the action, what the figure is doing. There's Mattesi's FORCE stuff which is it's own kind of thing.

Some people keep things in proportion, while other people recommend exaggerating the pose as far as possible until it breaks.

Most of these ideas run into logical trouble when you have a pose which doesn't have any clear dramatic action. Standing or sitting for example, which are two things people, especially models, tend to do a lot...

Sorry, not trying to be confusing about the topic, but I don't think there is a definitive answer to whether you are going about it in the right way. Depends who you ask and what you're trying to do with it. One thing I will say is that you want to look for the flow and rhythm of parts, and how they relate to each other. Your drawings establish the general pose, so we can easily see what the figure is doing. But there's not much flow or rhythm to them.

To make things simple, you could just pick an artist you like, and whose gestures and explanations make the most sense to you, and just going with that for a while. If you like Proko, just go with what he says for a while and see what you can learn from it.

Ha! Confusing, isn't it? I agree with you, JoséVaca, every single artist seems to have a different opinion about it! I was also studying Scott Harris' Udemy course and he has another different approach to it!!!

Maybe gesture is a scam! Ha!  Party Party Party

Messages In This Thread
You, me and gesture drawing... - by bonesworth - 01-20-2021, 11:04 AM
RE: You, me and gesture drawing... - by darktiste - 01-20-2021, 01:06 PM
RE: You, me and gesture drawing... - by JosephCow - 01-20-2021, 02:22 PM
RE: You, me and gesture drawing... - by darktiste - 01-20-2021, 02:50 PM
RE: You, me and gesture drawing... - by JosephCow - 01-20-2021, 04:40 PM
RE: You, me and gesture drawing... - by bonesworth - 01-20-2021, 09:53 PM
RE: You, me and gesture drawing... - by Zorrentos - 01-21-2021, 03:22 AM
RE: You, me and gesture drawing... - by Zorrentos - 01-21-2021, 09:31 PM